Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 Throwback Threads Polo Grounds...Stupidest set ever!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
They said the same thing about Topps Tek 14 yrs ago...just wait till 2019 and Threads and Polo Grounds will be exciting!

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
I'll go with 2007 Topps Moments & Milestones.
Isn't there like over 90,000 cards in that complete set?
CRAZY.
David

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
As a set collector, Documentary is a nightmare. I thought the concept was pretty cool, however there were two main things I didn't like about it.

-It didn't list the player on the front of the card. That's not necessarily a huge problem, but I broke a retail box (not a blaster, a retail box) and got stuck with a ton of Twins cards that I had to dig through the internets to discover the hidden identities of the players.

-The pics are not unique to the game. It wouldn't have been that hard to find photos from every game.

The set would have been better (IMO) if those two aspects have been met.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, the card companies were going crazy trying to outdo each other with the parallels, the retro business, and low serial numbers, etc. Something like Exhibits and Polo Grounds took exactly the wrong route through that segment of the modern hobby.

Documentary was interesting as a team set, but even then it lacked a lot. A separate card for each game is cool, but use a different photo. They used Grady Sizemore for the Indians games, and there are I think 4 photos used for different cards for the whole season. Maybe 2, and then the same 2 on the gold parallel. What would've been interesting is factory sets for your team. Perhaps as the only means of distribution. Maybe Topps could do that now. 2013 Topps Season Pass, 162-ish cards for each team, each with DIFFERENT PHOTOS FROM THAT GAME, $50/set or $600 for a league, or $1000 for the whole thing. I wouldn't buy it, but someone would.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
THESE were some wasteful 1/1s. Didn't some of these guy's (Griffey, Ripken, etc) have 10-20 of them? I apologize for the bad pic. I bought this for $1
GEDC0264.jpg

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
THESE were some wasteful 1/1s. Didn't some of these guy's (Griffey, Ripken, etc) have 10-20 of them? I apologize for the bad pic. I bought this for $1

Yeah I have 2 or 3 Justin Morneau's from that set. I don't know how many he has but I don't really care to get anymore.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Donruss/Playoff had 3 sets like that right around that timeframe...Throwback Threads Polo Grounds, Leaf Exhibits, and Studio Portraits. I actually dislike Portraits the most because I thought the designs for the other two were decent at least. I don't bother with trying to get any of them for the guys I collect, luckily nobody I supercollect was in any of the sets.

Really Moments and Milestones was worse. And like others have said, I think UD Documentary could have been good if they used their whole ass instead of half of it to make the set. One card for each game, winning team's player on the front, "MVP" of the game pictured, picture from the actual game.

Richard

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I actually like polo grounds and studio portraits. I didn't at first but they really grew on me. But no, I'm not willing to pay a fortune for them.

As far as documentary goes, I'm actually still trying to complete that. I'm at we'll over 3500 different cards and am always looking for ones I don't have. I guess I just started collecting it to see if I could finish it. So far finding singles I need isn't hard. But when you get down to those last couple hundred cards, the nightmare will really start. I knew a guy who was trying to put the gold set together but I am not that ambitious.

Another one is Yankee stadium legacy. That whole frikin thing is a nightmare. Most cards run for no cheaper than 50 cents a piece and it's gonna cost a fortune to finish. I do have the first card from the set (babe Ruth card #1) but I kinda ran out of steam. I think I have a little over 800 different cards from the set. Somebody on the old boards put the whole thing together a while back. Nice accomplishment!

Members online

Latest posts