Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The price of Price

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The subject came up in another thread, but I felt like this might be worth its own post.

As anyone who follows baseball knows, David Price won the AL Cy Young Award this weak, capping a 20-5 season when he lead the league with a 2.56 ERA. He's not been an All-Star 3 years in a row and has a Cy Young award, along with a second place finish. And he's 26 years old.

Comparisons to other top young pitchers including King Felix, Kershaw, Lincecum and Verlander quickly highlights the fact that while Price might be in the same league as them as a pitcher, his Bowman Chrome Rookie Autograph does not get close to the same attention. The first Price Chrome Autograph to sell after he won the Cy Young (when you would expect to see spike) went for $24.

The obviously question is why. Here's my thoughts...

The first thing to consider is the timing of the release. Back when Price's Chrome Auto was released, people had not really accepted the idea that a player could have a second Chrome card and therefore that held down prices on release. Price also had an Elite Auto from the year before which also was a factor then. Over time that perception changed, but at that time it certainly held down prices.

One might say though, that since the perception has changed, the price should go with it. The issue though, is that people in general are not quick to change how they feel about the price of something without a good reason. There's all sorts of economic terms to describe these ideas, one is that the original price provides an anchor which is difficult to move off. Simply stated, the fact the prices used to be low, means that it will be difficult for that to change.

So what does that mean for collectors/investors?

In my opinion, for the prices to shift, the perception has to shift, and it will likely take something significant for that to happen (say a crazy start to next season, a second consecutive Cy Young Award, a no-hitter etc.) While Price has been great, he has managed to slide under the radar and the limited attention has meant his cards have stayed where they are. Should something happen to change that though, I believe that the anchor will shift people will start looking at his play, comparing it to others who have had similar success, and using that comparison coming to the conclusion that Price's cards are way underpriced, thereby driving up prices, possibly to where a guy like Kershaw is at.

In summary, (for those who only read the cliff notes) my gut is that it will take a lot to see a major shift in pricing on Price's cards (primarily his BC Auto) but if he can reach the "tipping point" we could see a dramatic increase in prices in a very short time.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I just think for some players it takes longer to really 'catch on' then others. Ironicly Verlander fits in that catagory as well. A year and a half ago (or so) I was shocked at how low his cardstock was based on his comparative performance and talent. The same can be said for Price. If he continues to perform like he has, it may take time, but eventually the price spikes will come.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I just think for some players it takes longer to really 'catch on' then others. Ironicly Verlander fits in that catagory as well. A year and a half ago (or so) I was shocked at how low his cardstock was based on his comparative performance and talent. The same can be said for Price. If he continues to perform like he has, it may take time, but eventually the price spikes will come.

This is exactly what I thought... except that I was going to say that some players will never catch on for whatever reason (lack of charisma, etc) even though the stats and talent are there.

Plus even though his value may rise, it can just as easily fall later.

I like to look at baseball-reference, which has Price most similar to the following pitchers at age 26; do any of these guys look like they have/will have valuable cards?:

1. Jon Lester (969)
  2. Johan Santana (965)
  3. Roy Oswalt (965)
  4. Tim Lincecum (960)
  5. Tim Hudson (956)
  6. Lefty Williams (954)
  7. Gio Gonzalez (951)
  8. Don Newcombe (950)
  9. Josh Johnson (948)
  10. Cole Hamels (946)

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
In regards of IP autos, there will never be a shortage of David Price signed items. Every once and a while, Price will only sign for kids but even then he signs 50+ items.

Of all the award winners, Miguel Cabrera now becomes the hardest IP graph. Those that did the Autographs For A Cause thru the Tigers at 40.00 got a deal with Miguel. I imagine that price doubles or they just don't include him because of the demand next year.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
This is exactly what I thought... except that I was going to say that some players will never catch on for whatever reason (lack of charisma, etc) even though the stats and talent are there.

Plus even though his value may rise, it can just as easily fall later.

I like to look at baseball-reference, which has Price most similar to the following pitchers at age 26; do any of these guys look like they have/will have valuable cards?:

1. Jon Lester (969)
  2. Johan Santana (965)
  3. Roy Oswalt (965)
  4. Tim Lincecum (960)
  5. Tim Hudson (956)
  6. Lefty Williams (954)
  7. Gio Gonzalez (951)
  8. Don Newcombe (950)
  9. Josh Johnson (948)
  10. Cole Hamels (946)

Gio because he is the youngest.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
In regards of IP autos, there will never be a shortage of David Price signed items. Every once and a while, Price will only sign for kids but even then he signs 50+ items.

Of all the award winners, Miguel Cabrera now becomes the hardest IP graph. Those that did the Autographs For A Cause thru the Tigers at 40.00 got a deal with Miguel. I imagine that price doubles or they just don't include him because of the demand next year.

True, but Miggy's autos are easy to get.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL

I think the days of getting a nice Miguel auto for free are over:

Cabrera,%20Miguel%20December%202012%20Large%20Complete%20copy.jpg

Members online

Latest posts