Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

post/opinion no longer available

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I'd say Mays in a slight edge over Aaron. It's too hard for me to compare pitchers to batters though, so I'd also say Koufax and Nolan Ryan

GREATEST LIVING BALLPLAYER ??

You could throw Junior in this conversation. One of the few in the PED Era that is a 1st ballot HOF. If he could have stayed healthy, 800 HR's was a given. Defensively one of the best at his position as well.

bdangelo

Jul 5, 2009
Willie Mays, slightly ahead of Henry Aaron. Both were tremendous players, although if I judged them including talent, adversity and dignity, I'd go with Aaron hands down. I saw both of them play, and whenever Willie came to bat there was electricity in the air. Even when he swung and missed. And in the field, Mays was an outstanding center fielder. Henry had a powerful but underrated arm in right field and was a great hitter, too. It's almost too close to call, but if I had to choose, it's Mays in my mind by a whisker.

Bob

After having DiMaggio, Williams, and Stan the Man take the title the last 30 years or so--- got me to thinking-- who is currently the Greatest Living Ballplayer ??

Anyone want to hand me some insight on their choices ???

I'd like to hear WHY you have your beliefs also,,,, is it personal feelings? stats ? Hometown favoritism? What guides you in deciding who you think should have that title ??

Looking forward to hearing thoughts,,,,

Jeff

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
I don't think Mays, Aaron is even close. While Aaron gets a very slight edge in power, they were close in Average and Mays was far superior in baserunning and defense.

i'm not sure I'd put anyone ahead of Mays

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
This is a flawed question. Willie Mays has been the greatest living ballplayer since Babe Ruth died. The real argument is whether he was the greatest living ballplayer before Ruth died (Technically Ruth died when he was like 17 but you get the idea).

Ted Williams was a better hitter and I'll always like him more. I'd listen to arguments that Barry Bonds' roiding doesn't make him worse than his numbers say he is. Stan Musial was great and deserves a bump on this day especially. But biases aside this isn't even close. This will make a good topic when he dies.

And LOL at mentioning DiMaggio.

GREATEST LIVING BALLPLAYER ??

How many triple crowns and batting titles did Griffey Jr win?

Sincerely
Frank Robinson

Agreed. HR titles he had. In his Era, he was among, if not, the best at his position. Mays is a legend and is definitely one of the best. Hard to compare him to anybody else. He set the standard for his position. When they thaw Ted Williams out, Ill add him to this conversation

Members online

Latest posts