Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is there anything I can do here? Any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I went away last weekend b/c of a wedding, so I was not here on that Saturday. I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor and there are 3 other apartments right near my door. Apparently a sub postal worker scanned 2 of my packages as delivered and left them right outside my door...Between the two packages, I paid $60...The DC shows them scanned as delivered but I don't have them.

I'm pissed b/c they shouldn't be leaving first class mail right outside my door. You leave me a notice to come pick it up at the post office the next day. Of course my lovely neighbors know nothing about it. Not sure why you would take someone's mail anyway.

This is obviously not the sellers fault but I'm out cards and money. Where should I go from here?

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I'd contact the local post office. I had a similar situation. Not that the item wasn't there, but that I paid out of the ass for registered mail w/signature confirmation every time the item traded hands. When I talked to the buyer, they said they didn't have to sign for anything, and it was sitting on their front stoop. It takes 2 seconds to fill out a delayed pick-up slip for the PO. The buyer got their item, but I was pissed that no signature was needed. Nevermind the money paid, but what if the buyer was shady and lied, or if someone snatched it. Talk to your local PO that delivered it and try to figure it out. If its documented that you need to sign for it, they are at fault.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
Is this something you can fill out a police report for? If nothing else, at least it's a documented theft (if that is in fact what happened) and if they happen to pop up on ebay, it'll be a little easier for you to get back what's yours. Good luck, Carl!

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
How do know that the postman left them on your door? I had an instance where the delivery confirmation said it was delivered but it was still at the post office. When I went to talk to them about the missing mail they were able to find it for me. Hopefully this is what happened here. If not, I would think that you might be out the money and the cards.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Prob a dumb question but did you check to see if they left them with the office staff?

Yes, I asked my typical postal lady (she was off that Saturday) if she could check to see if any packages were left for me to pick up even though I didn't have a notice. She said there wasn't.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've had things show online as delivered on one day, but they didn't actually get put in my mailbox till the next day. I think carriers might have some sort of requirement to deliver so many packages a day or something, but when they're out in the truck they sort out the paper mail and junk mail and whatnot, but the bubble envelopes and such might not be the same priority when they're actually on the road. At least, that's the impression I got from the mailman I had for 10 years and the patterns I saw sometimes.

But since this apparently happened last weekend, I suspect your package was actually left out somewhere and is gone. I might suggest asking your neighbors again, especially if more than 1 person lives in a particular apartment. Someone might've picked it up, then neglected to deliver, and the other tenant doesn't know. No stone unturned, as it were.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
How do know that the postman left them on your door? I had an instance where the delivery confirmation said it was delivered but it was still at the post office. When I went to talk to them about the missing mail they were able to find it for me. Hopefully this is what happened here. If not, I would think that you might be out the money and the cards.

Technically I don't know that but my usual postal lady said nothing was there for me at the post office and they are scanned delivered. I guess I was assuming.

I just spoke with a gentleman in the delivery complaints department and he said he was going to get in touch with the sub carrier and see what's up. Said I should be getting a call back this afternoon.

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
So I called last friday and got a hold of someone who said he would look into and call me back later in the afternoon....he didn't.

I called back several times Monday and Tuesday and no one ever picked up the phone.

Finally got someone to answer today...he said the carrier left them right outside my door and that was their new policy starting back in November. They do not leave notices anymore.

This is unbelievable. They are opening themselves to a lot of theft complaints if this is the case. Well there's $60 I'll never see again.

They can't be this stupid.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
So I called last friday and got a hold of someone who said he would look into and call me back later in the afternoon....he didn't.

I called back several times Monday and Tuesday and no one ever picked up the phone.

Finally got someone to answer today...he said the carrier left them right outside my door and that was their new policy starting back in November. They do not leave notices anymore.

This is unbelievable. They are opening themselves to a lot of theft complaints if this is the case. Well there's $60 I'll never see again.

I would go ask everyone in that building for the package. maybe slip a printed note under ever door. Time to make face time with your neighbors Carl :lol:

WNP22

Aug 17, 2009
Memphis
Have you checked with the management at your apartment complex? Maybe they were left up front with them.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009

That's completely untrue, notices are required to be left especially in apartment complexes. I live in a set of 5 townhouses off the street and anything that wont fit in the mail box gets a notice left if Im not home.
You need to look up your local mailing requirements office, usually located within the BMEU (business mail entry unit) and make nice with someone in there (mailing requirements office). They are VERY helpful and happy to hand some sub par lazy ******* their hat and try to help you. The people in mailing requirements are usually lifelong USPS employees and are incredibly knowledgeable. If there is anything that can be done they are the ones.

Latest posts