Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Topps Baseball New Numbering System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I was a little disappointed upon observing that Topps abandoned their usual practice of placing star players at the tens and superstars at the hundreds. My disappointment was somewhat allayed upon discerning that they placed most players at their uniform number. Kind of cool.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I noticed that. I saw Adam Jones @ #10 and thought it was cool but then saw that many other stars had their numbers as well. But then Scott Downs @ #200 and Daniel Murphy @ #300??? Psshhhhhht.

I did notice that three of the greatest AL pitchers were back to back to back: (I forget the order) Verlander, Price, Weaver.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
When I was ripping my Jumbo case Wednesday night I thought I pulled a SSP when I saw #331 Jose Reyes in Blue Jays jersey...but after searching eBay... I was :(

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I like this in other sets, but not in this one. One reason is that Joe Mauer can't have his number because they thought it would be a great idea to retire number 7 for Mickey Mantle

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Anyone find really strange Miguel Cabrera has no base card? How do they leave the triple crown winner out by accident?

I thought it was strange they didn't have a TRIPLE CROWN card for Miggy. They seem to do League Leaders, postseason and accomplishments in Series 1. Maybe they are doing it differently.

I also found it odd that Raul Ibanez and Pablo Sandoval didn't have special cards for their postseason performances but Ryan Vogelsong and Matt Holliday did?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I was a little disappointed upon observing that Topps abandoned their usual practice of placing star players at the tens and superstars at the hundreds.

what day are we going to twitter-bomb @toppscards about this? One tweet to @toppscards per person and hopefully the volume of tweets received will give them the picture we hate that they f***** with tradition!

What about Monday? all in?

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've always liked the numbering with superstars on the 100's. Kind of neat when you're going back through old sets to see who had #100, 200, etc one year and then got "demoted" to a regular number the next.

As for retiring #7, I think it's a silly gimmick. They'll probably repeat what they did before and in a few years issue the "lost #7's" and make them SP's or something.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

westerngac

Aug 1, 2011
Reno, NV
I've always liked the numbering with superstars on the 100's. Kind of neat when you're going back through old sets to see who had #100, 200, etc one year and then got "demoted" to a regular number the next.

As for retiring #7, I think it's a silly gimmick. They'll probably repeat what they did before and in a few years issue the "lost #7's" and make them SP's or something.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

The only reason they retired #7 again is Mantle's estate wants more than Topps is willing to pay for the rights...when the estate realizes they shouldn't be greedy and drops their price, #7 will return.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
The only reason they retired #7 again is Mantle's estate wants more than Topps is willing to pay for the rights...when the estate realizes they shouldn't be greedy and drops their price, #7 will return.

I think that its stupid. It shouldn't be "retired" give it to a current player. There is no need to have it retired for just one of the best players in baseball. There are others out there other than Mickey Mantle

westerngac

Aug 1, 2011
Reno, NV
I think that its stupid. It shouldn't be "retired" give it to a current player. There is no need to have it retired for just one of the best players in baseball. There are others out there other than Mickey Mantle

I agree with you, and think it's shortsighted on Topps' part, as well.

They should've played hardball with Mantle's estate, and assigned #7 to Mauer, and sent a real message to them, instead of the mixed-message of retiring the number again, which only emboldens the estate, in my opinion.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I agree with you, and think it's shortsighted on Topps' part, as well.

They should've played hardball with Mantle's estate, and assigned #7 to Mauer, and sent a real message to them, instead of the mixed-message of retiring the number again, which only emboldens the estate, in my opinion.

I'm out of the loop I guess, but how can anyone claim a right to a random number? It's like declaring page 7 in every baseball book must be blank.

westerngac

Aug 1, 2011
Reno, NV
I'm out of the loop I guess, but how can anyone claim a right to a random number? It's like declaring page 7 in every baseball book must be blank.

The estate didn't claim a right to a random number, they claim the right to Mickey Mantle's likeness, which is their right, but have asked for a higher licensing fee than Topps is willing to pay at the moment...and just as in the '90s when this same situation arose, Topps' response was to "retire" card #7 in "honor" of Mantle.

It was a mistake then; it's still a mistake now.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
The estate didn't claim a right to a random number, they claim the right to Mickey Mantle's likeness, which is their right, but have asked for a higher licensing fee than Topps is willing to pay at the moment...and just as in the '90s when this same situation arose, Topps' response was to "retire" card #7 in "honor" of Mantle.

It was a mistake then; it's still a mistake now.

Ah, thanks. That's what I thought was the case too. By the way the thread was going I thought maybe I missed something and they also were claiming the rights to a number as well. Which obviously is insane.

Members online

Latest posts