Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Finest 1993 Box No Box Topper Giant Card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Got a '93 Finest box on ebay and got a huge Eck a couple weeks ago. I had done some research and found that this appeared to be in all boxes. Just got another '93 Finest (yes, I am splurging on prospecting lately) and was very happy with the quality (Smoltz refractor pulled) but there was no box topper. Part of the appeal of buying a box is a chance at these giant cards. Anyhow, I questioned the seller. Here is the actual correspondence:

Me-Dear sampson14,

I got the Finest box today thank you so much. I'm wondering though where the giant card is that I've gotten in all other '93 Finest boxes I've purchased from other sources. The cards were in good shape and I found a Smoltz refractor which is great but part of the reason to buy the whole box is to get the giant card that comes along with it. Please update me and be honest. Did you open the boxes, take out the giant cards, then shrink-wrap them again? I haven't given feedback yet but we can work something out if that's what happened. Thank you.

Him- I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS 30 YEARS I HAVE NEVER TAMPERED WITH A BOX EVER...

I AM SORRY U DID NOT GET A BOX TOPPER.. I WILL SEE WHT I CAN DO ABOUT GETTING U ONE.... I WOULD AND REPEAT NEVER TAMPER WITH A BOX EVER.. MY REPUTATAION MEANS EVERYTHING TO ME.. MIKE

- sampson14

Me- Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate that. Let me know if you can get me one and I really appreciate your communication

Him- AS SOON AS I GET BACK FROM MY DISTRIBUTOR MEETING AT UPPER DECK I WILL CHK FOR U THKS MIKE

I don't know why this is bolding, but it's too late for me to correct right now. Perhaps it was a bit ******* of me to mention some foul play, but I was rather taken back by the ALL UPPERCASE and big timing with the upper deck mention. Am I a bad communicator, is this guy a bad communicator, pissed I asked the question or does this seem fishy to anyone else? Appreciate the thoughts.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Sounds as if you have an "odd" box. As a large 1993 Finest Collector I see no reason to open the box simply for the jumbo since they sell $2-$10. If someone were to tamper with the box they would open the box to locate the refractor pack--replace it with a non-refractor pack and reseal. (For those that did not know, yes, the refractor pack is different than the non-refractor pack). A refractor pack could have been removed but still left a second ref pack behind. 1 box in every 3-5 cases tended to have 2 refractors, if it were opened/resealed whoever did it might have located 1 ref pack and failed to look at the rest......who really know.

Pack searching these has been done countless times, especially since 1993 Finest did NOT have lettering on the plastic wrap. The shrink wrap does have a fairly solid indicator of tampering, look for a small circular hole in the wrap, normally in the upper left hand corner of the box top. For whatever reason most box have this hole in the wrap.

Odds are that in 2 decades this box has changed hands more than just your purchase. If this box has been tampered what are the odds it was by this seller, again who really knows.

FWIW, if it were me I would be really happy to have hit a solid refractor rather than a bum and post positive FB.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
Honestly, I think reading about some of the horror stories on here the last couple of months as I've combed through past posts has had the same effect on me as reading 'What To Expect When You're Expecting' when my wife was pregnant with our first child. Worst case scenario thinking is what I mean.

And what is the difference between a refractor pack vs non refractor? I wish I knew that before I invested in a couple of boxes!

Members online

Latest posts