Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can you justify overpaying for a card with profit $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
I really want a card but I know I will be overpaying, but I'd being paying for it with 100% profit from other cards. Do you guys justify overpaying for a card from profit money??? Trying to talk myself into it..... Lol

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
The safest way to double your money is to fold over once and put it in your pocket

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Almost my whole PC has been purchased with profit from my finds. & the other part of my PC is from great members on the boards generosity.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
LOL, I'd say go for it............... Thats what the Hobby is all about....... Right???

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'll try to be the dreaded "adult voice of reason" LOL.

In reality it doesn't matter how you got the money here.

All that's left is an overpriced card and whether or not you can afford it... and whether or not you want to do the seller (who hopefully isn't trying to gouge you) a favor.

Sounds like you've mostly justified the purchase to yourself though... but I trust you know what you're doing.

/"adult voice"

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal

All that's left is an overpriced card and whether or not you can afford it... and whether or not you want to do the seller (who hopefully isn't trying to gouge you) a favor.

Sounds like you've mostly justified the purchase to yourself though... but I trust you know what you're doing.

/"adult voice"

I actually got him to come down from his asking price to where I'm a lil more comfortable too. & in all honesty I'm not even sure what this card is even worth. We're not talking huge money here $60 and now may be able to get it for $40

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008

/"adult voice"
fct_ae75fa2d7e7fed6.jpg

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I just did this today, actually with a football card. Guy had it listed for $110, I got him to come down to $80 shipped, which is still about $30-$40 more than it would go for in auction. But $60 of the money was from a card I sold that I won in a contest, so I only ended up paying about $20 out of pocket.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
For me, no I could not. Each card/sale is separate from another, therefore the two decisions should be mutually exclusive. Unless the profit is so drastic that it completely changes the total amount of capital I have to spend, the price I'd be willing to pay would be similar.

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
Is this a business or hobby to you?

If it's a business, does it make fiscal sense to make that deal?

If it's a hobby, how bad do you want the card?

To me, it's a hobby and when I sell cards that funds other cards. Card money is card money, and if I want the card, I buy the card.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
If it makes u happy you aren't overpaying. I've bought Will Clark n Mike Brown PC items at prices that are "overpaying" at the same time find deals on some items. It washes out n happy with the overall pricing. My suggestion is don't make it a habit to overpay but if it happens now n then just remember the deals you got previously.

Ryan

Members online

Latest posts