Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A-Roid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoopster3977

Jun 22, 2010
Upper Peninsula
This^^^^^^^

I'm with Charlie on this. The labor agreement between the owner's player's should have a team minimum payroll. The owner's shouldn't be pocketing the revenue sharing tax.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Johan Santana, $25.5M
Cliff Lee, $25M
Mark Teixeira, $23.25M
C.C. Sabathia, $23M
Prince Fielder, $23M
Joe Mauer, $23M
Tim Lincecum, $22.25M
Adrian Gonzalez, $21.86M
Miguel Cabrera, $21M
Vernon Wells, $21M
Carl Crawford, $20.86M
Matt Cain, $20.83M
Cole Hamels, $20.5M
Matt Kemp, $20.25M
Felix Hernandez, $20.2M
Justin Verlander, $20.1M
Roy Halladay, $20M
Ryan Howard, $20M
Barry Zito, $20M

All of these guys actually make more than the current Astros roster. $5 million of their payroll is going to Wandy Rodriguez, who is a member of Pirates.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Here something even more interesting. The Yankees are paying $19m in luxury tax while the Astros are paying $20m to field a team.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
That speaks more to the ineptitude of the Astros brass than anything IMO. Kind of reminds me of the Indians in the Major League movies....they wouldn't sign anybody and got mad everytime they won. I can imagine things going down similarly in the Astros luxury box.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
This^^^^^^^

I'm with Charlie on this. The labor agreement between the owner's player's should have a team minimum payroll. The owner's shouldn't be pocketing the revenue sharing tax.

The owners would never approve of it.

Which leads to people talking contraction, which then fuels arguements and outrage from fans who don't want to see their continually underspending and underproducing team go bye bye for whatever reason

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Did you know?

A-Roid will make more ($29m) than the entire Astros team ($25m) this year.

Yes we seen the story on the front page of nearly every online news page today also. Except most left out the aroid thing since its quite embarrassing to talk like that.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Yes we seen the story on the front page of nearly every online news page today also. Except most left out the aroid thing since its quite embarrassing to talk like that.

I didn't see this anywhere but here.

And why is it embarrassing to have a negative opinion of someone who cheated to become rich?

Now something I would be embarrassed about?...using seen in the context that you did...:)

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
As long as the fans show-up (tickets sales). Buy concessions, and then shirts and hats and what not. Then see them on TV when they can't make the games( for which TV Channels pay the team for the right to broadcast the games). Then the teams will over pay players to sign with theirs teams. And the owners will make more money in the draw of said over-paid player.

But if the fans stop doing all of the above, then the players will not make outrageous salaries. But we know this will never happen.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
All of this and the new owner has doubled ticket prices. We are very unhappy Astros fans. I will be going to very few games this year.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
All of this and the new owner has doubled ticket prices. We are very unhappy Astros fans. I will be going to very few games this year.

Happens all the time, someone takes over a team. They think they are undervalued and raises prices. But they really don't know what they are doing.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I didn't see this anywhere but here.

And why is it embarrassing to have a negative opinion of someone who cheated to become rich?

Now something I would be embarrassed about?...using seen in the context that you did...:)

Maybe FCB should make a sports news section for people like yourself who dont look at any MLB news sites. Maybe a new revenue stream.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
This^^^^^^^

Why not, exactly? These owners are businesspeople before they are fans. So the LA and New York franchises can spend 200m+ on contracts each year and make a huge profit, but the owners of smaller clubs shouldn't profit at all?

Put it this way: who makes more money, the Steinbrenners, or the dude who owns the Astros? You now want the league to dictate that the Astros owner must profit less than he currently does? I get why fans make this argument, but it makes no sense to me from a business point of view.

chompsmcgee

Jan 24, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
As a fan of a perennial cellar-dweller I am more than excited to welcome the Astros into the AL West. May their $20M payroll fluff our record and statistics to no end.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
As a fan of a perennial cellar-dweller I am more than excited to welcome the Astros into the AL West. May their $20M payroll fluff our record and statistics to no end.

Now that is a real "bender" (your sig gif). I had a tough guy literally fall on his ass in high school when I threw a curve at his head and it hooked over the plate for a strike. I used to aim for the face of the batter, and knowing the degree of break, it would almost always catch the inside corner. Definitely one of my favorite pitches to throw. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts