Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Big Fail by Topps - Miguel Cabrera Triple Crown Relic Autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Im sure these are pretty limited... sticker autos? :(

BHW5Zq_CIAEX-o5.jpg:large

These look really nice.... Would be 10x better on card.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
While I don't care for the sticker, to me the problem is much bigger than that.

The Triple Crown is an incredibly rare event and it was a chance for Topps to create a truly special card (or set). The card they produced demonstrates little creativity or appreciation for the event. I mean, come on Topps. It's a die-cut card with a picture of a crown, a piece of jersey and an autograph. In other words, no different than a million other cards that have been made over the years.

Topps could have developed a set around Triple Crown winners in the fashion that UD did the 3000 hit club and the 500 homerun. They could have done something that highlighted the stats. Done right this could have created a huge chase card (or cards) in one or more set this year. Instead we have another Miggy jersey auto with no real differentiating factors which will likely be at best slightly more collectible than his other auto cards.

It's a shame...

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
Agreed Topnotchsy.

Terrible card all around. It goes to show how bad Topps is at higher end cards (or non-base for the matter). As noted above the problems are much much more than just the auto. The shape, coloring, and overall busyness with this card add up to mega-fail.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I am not a big fan of die-cut cards to begin with, but I kind of like this one. Even the sticker fits the bill. Also, I have a feeling that scan is not doing the card any favors.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
While I don't care for the sticker, to me the problem is much bigger than that.

The Triple Crown is an incredibly rare event and it was a chance for Topps to create a truly special card (or set). The card they produced demonstrates little creativity or appreciation for the event. I mean, come on Topps. It's a die-cut card with a picture of a crown, a piece of jersey and an autograph. In other words, no different than a million other cards that have been made over the years.

Topps could have developed a set around Triple Crown winners in the fashion that UD did the 3000 hit club and the 500 homerun. They could have done something that highlighted the stats. Done right this could have created a huge chase card (or cards) in one or more set this year. Instead we have another Miggy jersey auto with no real differentiating factors which will likely be at best slightly more collectible than his other auto cards.

It's a shame...

Well said.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
I have said this for a while...Topps does NOT care about thier customers, and this is an another example that proves it.

100% agree with Topnotchsy!

I'd go further and say they not only they not care about the customer, in a general sense. They don't care about the collector or the hobby. They simply print baseball players on cardstock and count the $$$. In fact, I would venture to guess that not a single employee is a collector.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Card looks sweet! Nice job by Topps.

I love all these people that just sit and XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX and have some fantasy world where players are waiting to sign cards for you at and given time... Well if you can go get all these players to sit down and sign cards whenever you want. I'm sure Topps, Panini, Leaf ect would hire you.

Members online