Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fernando Rodney

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Allowed 5 ER last Season with an ERA of 0.60

This year he has 5 Blown Saves with an ERA of 6.05

Put an arrow in that!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Each & every year, another former middle reliever emerges & has a great year as closer.

They last maybe 2, 3 yrs & then implode.

Except for mo.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Im still not sure why people undervalue closers so much. Where would the Rays be in the standings right now without those blown saves?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Im still not sure why people undervalue closers so much. Where would the Rays be in the standings right now without those blown saves?
They undervalue the closer's role, but they OVERvalue individual closers. It seems to make little sense to give a huge contract to a closer. Use the guys with the hot arm, and rotate them as needed (which is admittedly easier said than done).

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
More proof that closers, with the exception of the Top 3, guys like Mo, Hoffman and Franco used to be, are way OVER-rated individually.

Like Kickers in football and Goalies in Hockey you can literally pull a guy off the street and get a "hot streak" from him, with no prior History of success.

I mean, besides Mo (age not-withstanding) and maybe Papelbon, who else is a current Closer you would give a Big Contract to? Between injuries, like Wilson, Soria or Botts have had and "cold streaks", the shelf life on successful Closers is down to about 2 years. Heck, Jason Grilli has 19 Saves and wasn't on a Roster a year and a half ago.

Or maybe it's kharma for his over-the-top Celebratory stuff.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
More proof that closers, with the exception of the Top 3, guys like Mo, Hoffman and Franco used to be, are way OVER-rated individually.

Like Kickers in football and Goalies in Hockey you can literally pull a guy off the street and get a "hot streak" from him, with no prior History of success.

I mean, besides Mo (age not-withstanding) and maybe Papelbon, who else is a current Closer you would give a Big Contract to? Between injuries, like Wilson, Soria or Botts have had and "cold streaks", the shelf life on successful Closers is down to about 2 years. Heck, Jason Grilli has 19 Saves and wasn't on a Roster a year and a half ago.

Or maybe it's kharma for his over-the-top Celebratory stuff.

I would give a big contract to Mariano Rivera at age 43.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I should have clarified it more. The truely great closers in the game are undervalued. When you see what guys like Rivera and Hoffman did it shows just how special the elite closers really are. The Yankees have not had to worry about having a closer since 97. Pretty amazing.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Jim Johnson today blew his Fourth Save of the year. He was an All-Star last year, and (I believe) blew two games all year.

Perfect example for what this thread is discussing...

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Good thing I have both of these sitting in the vault! SP Heritage autos can be such a pain - I picked up the red first because I hadn't seen a blue since a couple weeks after release. Then one day went by, no blue Rodney. Then one more day went by, no blue Rodney. Then the third day, BOOM blue Rodney. This is actually a true story. 3 days.

Fernando Rodney 2012 Topps Heritage Update Autograph Summary

Day 0 - Red Rodney Auto
Day 1 - No Rodney Auto
Day 2 - No Rodney Auto
Day 3 - BOOM BLUE RODNEY AUTO, JEALOUS MUCH????

Members online

Latest posts