Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

He was the image on the box of cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As often happens, a different thread provided the impetus for a new thread.

Was thinking of 2001 Prospect Premieres and recalled that the player to grace the box was none other than Michael Garciaparra, younger brother of Nomar, and a decent prospect back in the day. Obviously he never panned out.

It got me thinking, which players had their images on boxes who in hindsight probably did not warrant it? Here' the one I had in mind:

2001-upper-deck-prospect-premieres-baseball-hobby-box.jpg

Last edited:

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
Not baseball, but Jon Kitna was all over Pacific boxes in 2000. I still don't understand that.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
How about the entire football Rookie Class of 2006? :lol:

I think Base Topps showed 3 or 4 of the high picks...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Not baseball, but Jon Kitna was all over Pacific boxes in 2000. I still don't understand that.

And the Kitna RCs from that stuff went for HUGE numbers for a while there, 2002 I think. I seem to remember the Crown Royale getting up near $200ish...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
2004 Bowman's Best - Tim Stauffer

2004-bowmans-best-baseball-hobby-box.jpg

2003 Bowman Draft - Ryan Harvey

03BBBODRAZHWB01.jpg

Last edited:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008

My best guess is that Pacific was a Seattle company and Kitna was starting for the Seahawks back then.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The first name that came to my mind was Luke Hochever 2007 Bowman

And we could be saying the same thing about Pineda soon.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
My best guess is that Pacific was a Seattle company and Kitna was starting for the Seahawks back then.

Thank you :D

Plus, he was an Eastern Washington University grad, so that was even more incentive for them to use him.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Thank you :D

Plus, he was an Eastern Washington University grad, so that was even more incentive for them to use him.

Oh the hell you just didn't. OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!

Central damn it, CENTRAL Washington University. Not Eastern!!

Yes, as you can tell, I'm also a Central grad :) Kitna graduated my Freshman year.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

I think they had some kind of Exclusive deal with him, even for base cards, if memory serves. That's one of the reasons his cards went kinda nuts for a while...

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Oh the hell you just didn't. OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!

Central damn it, CENTRAL Washington University. Not Eastern!!

Yes, as you can tell, I'm also a Central grad :) Kitna graduated my Freshman year.

OH YES I DID IDIDIDIDID !!!! :D I knew it was either Central or Eastern (not Western, lol).

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
What about J.D. Drew? I know he was a big name in what 98 or 99? I know he was all over the advertisements in Beckett. Skybox loved him. In fact when I dabbled with collecting back in high school, I started collecting him because he was supposed to be the next big thing. Though I will say he had an ok career...

I know for basketball, Jerry Stackhouse was on practically everything back in 95-96 basketball stuff.

Dmscards

Apr 2, 2013
Los Angeles
What about J.D. Drew? I know he was a big name in what 98 or 99? I know he was all over the advertisements in Beckett. Skybox loved him. In fact when I dabbled with collecting back in high school, I started collecting him because he was supposed to be the next big thing. Though I will say he had an ok career...

I know for basketball, Jerry Stackhouse was on practically everything back in 95-96 basketball stuff.

Jerry Stackhouse and J.D Drew had long decent careers. They are certainly not akin to Michael Garciaparra!

Members online

Latest posts