Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Samardzija May Be the Next to Go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Source says #Cubs indeed listening on Samardzija, adds, “asking price high as expected.”

They're making the Marlins' fire sale from last year look like a campfire. What type of package would be enough for him?

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
It's a firesale alright, problem is in this case, they never won anything beforehand.

I agree with the Soriano trade and I like what they got for Garza, I just don't see how they are going to pin all their hopes on Rizzo plus farm system.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Source says #Cubs indeed listening on Samardzija, adds, “asking price high as expected.”

They're making the Marlins' fire sale from last year look like a campfire. What type of package would be enough for him?

The big difference is that the Cubs weren't the big spenders this past offseason, like the Marlins were a year ago.

longbomberz

Aug 11, 2008
It's a firesale alright, problem is in this case, they never won anything beforehand.

I agree with the Soriano trade and I like what they got for Garza, I just don't see how they are going to pin all their hopes on Rizzo plus farm system.

Couldn't they fill in with vets once some prospects start to come up?

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
Couldn't they fill in with vets once some prospects start to come up?

Ya I don't think they are going to rely only on their prospects. I think with Samardzija, the Cubs know he is going to command #1 pitcher money on the open market, and I'm not really sure he will ever be an ace. The Cubs will have the money, but honestly in a big game playoff situation, I really wouldn't feel to confident with him on the mound. At the same time, they are only going to move him if someone over pays. With 2 years of team control left, he is very valuable to the team. In the end, the Cubs only need a couple of their top prospects to pan out. With the stadium renovation and new TV deal in the coming years, the Cubs will have the financial resources to acquire several high end players, either in free agency or in the international market.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Samardzija is better than his numbers look IMO...more than a K/IP and if he played for a better team he would probably have at least 5-8 more Wins than he does right now. He's a weak Ace or a good #2 . Should provide a good return if they move him...hopefully they won't just move him to move him.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
The cubs are LISTENING, does that mean there is even a 25% chance he is traded?

If he was to go, it would take a HAUL to get him, without question. Is someone going to give up 3 top 100 prospects for him?

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I feel like the Cubs are just stockpiling talent in the minors right now, and hoping that one or two of them turns into a solid everyday player for the team. If a bunch of the players get hot they can trade a few of them. Pair that with a few free agent signings and they'll be near the top of the NL in 2015.

heartyourlife

Jul 29, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I feel like the Cubs are just stockpiling talent in the minors right now, and hoping that one or two of them turns into a solid everyday player for the team. If a bunch of the players get hot they can trade a few of them. Pair that with a few free agent signings and they'll be near the top of the NL in 2015.

Does that mean 3rd place instead of 4th?

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Theo knows what he's doing and If I was a Cub fan I would probably just keep my mouth shut and let him work. That's what I tell people to do with Doug Melvin, he knows how to run a team.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Cubs just got two pitchers from the Rangers -- Edwards and Grimm both in "A" at this time . Edwards was one of The Crawdads best , hated seeing him go to the Cubs

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I don't think they'll trade him but why not listen to offers. If one comes along that blown them away then why not take it. I mean like was said before he's good just not an ace. I love what the FO has done so far and hope they continue rebuilding this team. Things ought to be real fun to watch again starting maybe as early as next year but for sure by 2015

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

Because they are stacking the farm system. .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts