Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Redemption Replacement Mailday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Redemption: 2011 Marquee Museum Collection Auto of Tsuyoshi Nishioka

Received this in the mail today as its replacement:

josh_vitters_001_zps6457aed7.jpg

Looking at completed auctions the base version went for $0.99, Red /99 went for $3.99. No past history of /10 selling but I'm assuming this is a $10 card at best. Pretty ticked off that a Museum auto (even though Nishioka was a bust) gets replaced with a $10 card after waiting patiently for 2 years. Don't do prospecting but is there any potential to this kid? Should I hold on to this card? Saw that he played a few games in 2012 for the Cubs but he didn't do much. Needless to say this is the last time I buy redemptions from Topps.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
Look at what they sent me...

Went to the Post Office to pick up the Tristar envelope that I got a delivery notice for yesterday. The lady went to the back and brought back the envelope and I immediately knew something was wrong. This was supposed to be a DUAL Patch Auto Booklet... And then I opened it to see this...

20130803_112053.jpg

And find this....

20130803_112033.jpg

20130803_112043.jpg

This went from expecting a very nice PC card, to receiving a dual auto of a set that was never made for anything but to replace redemptions that have taken a long time to fill. Not only did I NOT request a replacement they never sent me anything saying they were going to replace it WITHOUT my consent. My card is was supposed to be numbered /10. This isn't numbered and it is of someone I can't XXXXING stand!!! WHO is about to get banned for life!!!

XXXX YOU TOPPS. This isn't XXXXing over. And if this is the case why in the XXXX didn't they sent me a replacement for the Kemp/Ethier that has been sitting there just as long?

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Look at what they sent me...

Went to the Post Office to pick up the Tristar envelope that I got a delivery notice for yesterday. The lady went to the back and brought back the envelope and I immediately knew something was wrong. This was supposed to be a DUAL Patch Auto Booklet... And then I opened it to see this...

20130803_112053.jpg

And find this....

20130803_112033.jpg

20130803_112043.jpg

This went from expecting a very nice PC card, to receiving a dual auto of a set that was never made for anything but to replace redemptions that have taken a long time to fill. Not only did I NOT request a replacement they never sent me anything saying they were going to replace it WITHOUT my consent. My card is was supposed to be numbered /10. This isn't numbered and it is of someone I can't XXXXING stand!!! WHO is about to get banned for life!!!

XXXX YOU TOPPS. This isn't XXXXing over. And if this is the case why in the XXXX didn't they sent me a replacement for the Kemp/Ethier that has been sitting there just as long?

I feel your pain Alex. At least send cards from existing releases. The resell values on these are horrible. Just like you I didn't get any email or phone call saying they were going to send replacements. So I didn't have any say into what kind of replacement I wanted. I would have been much happier with a Iwakuma auto.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
I feel your pain Alex. At least send cards from existing releases. The resell values on these are horrible. Just like you I didn't get any email or phone call saying they were going to send replacements. So I didn't have any say into what kind of replacement I wanted. I would have been much happier with a Iwakuma auto.

Their process is garbage.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
What is the process in returning back to Topps?

Write a nicely worded letter, use letterhead template and other formal letter stuff. Tell them that you are disappointed with the fact the original card was not produced and tell them that the replacement is unacceptable. Provide them a short list of acceptable items and explain cards not produced as a portion of a boxed out product are not considered acceptable. Be realistic with your request and professional in tone.

I have sent nearly two dozen replacements back using this concept and have received acceptable items upon return. Make sure to send it return receipt so you have a signature.

GF Yankees Fan

Aug 9, 2011
The thing that really bugs me on stuff like the Kershaw/Ethier card in particular is that Topps has had both on card autographs and patch cards from both players in subsequent releases. So its not like the players or the material wasn't available. I could understand in the past when I had problems with them on C.C. Sabathia cards, because he's a notorious pain in the butt to get to sign, but theres no excuse for what you've got going on. Good luck to both of you getting things straight.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
The thing that really bugs me on stuff like the Kershaw/Ethier card in particular is that Topps has had both on card autographs and patch cards from both players in subsequent releases. So its not like the players or the material wasn't available. I could understand in the past when I had problems with them on C.C. Sabathia cards, because he's a notorious pain in the butt to get to sign, but theres no excuse for what you've got going on. Good luck to both of you getting things straight.

They both have on card autos in 5 Star and I have some of them. This whole redemption process is trash and not making cards and packing them out is highway robbery.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Write a nicely worded letter, use letterhead template and other formal letter stuff. Tell them that you are disappointed with the fact the original card was not produced and tell them that the replacement is unacceptable. Provide them a short list of acceptable items and explain cards not produced as a portion of a boxed out product are not considered acceptable. Be realistic with your request and professional in tone.

I have sent nearly two dozen replacements back using this concept and have received acceptable items upon return. Make sure to send it return receipt so you have a signature.

Cool. I'll give this a shot. Thanks for the info.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
This isn't numbered and it is of someone I can't XXXXING stand!!! WHO is about to get banned for life!!!

you should take a chill pill for now for multiple reasons - 1) we all got screwed on redemption replacements so you aren't the only one, and 2) you don't know AROD will be banned for life. We'll find out in a few days what will happen to AROD and certain AROD outcomes will make your card have some value that you can cash in on since you don't want the card and others will.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Let's just hope the newly hired Redemption Program co-ordinator is gonna fix a lot of the recent problems. My guess is that they are sending out all the replacements in the last coupla weeks to fill the still missing or will never get filled redemptions and then going forward, they'll be much better at filling them, if not reducing the total number of redemptions in the products...

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
you should take a chill pill for now for multiple reasons - 1) we all got screwed on redemption replacements so you aren't the only one, and 2) you don't know AROD will be banned for life. We'll find out in a few days what will happen to AROD and certain AROD outcomes will make your card have some value that you can cash in on since you don't want the card and others will.

F*&K Taking a chill pill.
I don't want an Arod card. I don't want a David Ortiz card. ASK ME WHAT CARD I WANT. Don't just send me some unnumbered dual auto and think I am going to accept it. When the card I was to receive was#/10. That is bull$hit.

VandyDan

Dec 5, 2011
So, here's something that just dawned on me about this topps redemption fiasco.

I just bought a Panini redemption card without thinking twice about it. Why? because redemptions only suck if you don't trust that the company will do right by you. I bought this redemption (a basketball card, rookie patch from NT) knowing that Panini will either make it as stated, or give me something legitimately good.

Topps could learn a lot from Panini about this.

just a thought I had, as in one window I was reading this and in another I was intentionally buying a redemption, haha

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
This is a tough one. Looks like the most expensive (recent) card of his to have sold on ebay is just $20.

I've a lot of respect for this player, too bad there aren't more cards of him out there.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA

A non-patch card dual auto is not the same as a Patch card dual auto.. Alex got hosed and I would be pissed as well and would send the card back..

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Here is the body of the letter I will be sending to Topps, along with the cards I received. I would appreciate any advice on changes to make to the letter, especially if you have had good luck in a similar situation with the good folks at Topps. If you like it, feel free to plagiarize:

Enclosed, you will find two cards which you recently sent me. They are autographed cards of Bert Blyleven and Duke Snider. These cards are not serially numbered, do not contain relic pieces, contain sticker autographs, and are not acknowledged by any hobby publication such as Beckett. They were sent to me as replacements for cards that I redeemed on your website. I did not request any replacements. I am returning the cards because they are not appropriate replacements for the cards I expected to receive.

The cards that I expected to receive are:
Card #1 : 2011 Topps Triple Threads Baseball Rookie/Future Phenoms AR Pairs Parallel of Pedro Alvarez/Andrew McCutchen

Card #2 : 2011 Topps Triple Threads Baseball Rookie/Future Phenoms Sepia Parallel of Pedro Alvarez

The Topps sell-sheet for 2011 Triple Threads describes these cards in the following ways:
Card #1 : a book card numbered to 50 or less featuring two on-card signatures and six relic pieces

Card #2 : a card numbered to 75 featuring an on-card signature and three relic pieces

According to the wording on the sell-sheet and the box itself, each 2011 Triple Threads box is to contain one autographed triple relic card. Since each of these cards that I was expecting fits this description, this means that neither of the boxes with these redemption cards featured the main “hit” that is promised from a box that sells for $300 or more.

In addition, the players featured on these cards are both All-Stars playing for one of the hottest teams in baseball.

I understand that Pedro Alvarez has not signed any cards for Topps, so I no longer expect to receive these exact cards. What I do expect to receive are cards that are equivalent.

As a replacement for Card #1 , I expect a serially numbered booklet card featuring at least two All-Star-caliber players with autographs and relic pieces from the players.

As a replacement for Card #2 , I expect a serially numbered card featuring an All-Star-caliber player with an autograph and relic pieces from that player.

I do not care what team(s) the players in the cards I receive play for, as long as they meet the above expectations.

Please send the cards to me at the above address, which you have on file. If you have any other questions, please contact me at

Thank you for your time. I look forward to receiving the cards.

koal

Aug 7, 2008
they f'n hosed me on pedro alvarez too. I even had a museum collection /10. sent them back and they sent the same cards back but added 1 pack of triple threads. complete and utter bullXXXX.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I just filed a complaint on the BBB website. It took about 30 minutes, but I feel a little better for now.

It was fun to type the line: "Simply put, I ordered two steaks from Topps. They waited two years, then sent me a hot dog and a plate of meat loaf."

Good times.

Members online

Latest posts