Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

UTLEY AGREES TO EXTENSION WITH PHILLIES!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I hope they can get Thome outta retirement, bring back my boy Abreu & sign Lieberthal. Terrible move for a team that needs to start turning over the age to the next generation of Fightin's.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Fangraphs has him worth 15.2 million this year in only 83 games so far. He really hasn't lost much of anything since his prime, except durability of course. I think it's a great move, and not only because I worship him.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
It does not seem that way. Your user name is not Chase Utley collector. :D

Howard is the reason I started watching the phillies everyday back in 2005, he was exciting. But it didn't take long for Utley to become my favorite because he is just...the man.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Phillies are a rich club, heading towards a tough time with a bad farm and a big club that with a few tweaks could stay in it next year maybe but after that I'm not really sure what to think.

He's had serious injury issues but someone has to play the 9 positions and Utley might as well be a "face of the franchise" till his retirement.

That money wouldn't have been spent to make the club any better and marketing and PR reasons it'll make sense in the long run. It's not like this contract is an albatross, like hamel's and Howard's.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Phillies are a rich club, heading towards a tough time with a bad farm and a big club that with a few tweaks could stay in it next year maybe but after that I'm not really sure what to think.

He's had serious injury issues but someone has to play the 9 positions and Utley might as well be a "face of the franchise" till his retirement.

That money wouldn't have been spent to make the club any better and marketing and PR reasons it'll make sense in the long run. It's not like this contract is an albatross, like hamel's and Howard's.

I agree. There aren't any good free agent options out there, so money wasn't much of a factor and it's only a 2 year deal. And if Utley left the phillies I would get MLB.TV and watch him instead of the phillies in protest. Do you still have that triple threads triple patch?

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
It's a very complicated deal so the Phils aren't that hurt IF things don't work out or IF the injuries are bad, but I still don't like the deal that much.

I got no problem with RA2 making one more run at winning with the pricey veterans, but this deal goes longer than that. I'm an Utley fan and I don't hate it like I did when they extended J-Rol, but I disagree with it and think they're just burying themselves further for the future with alot of the Prospects fuzzling out...

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
It's a very complicated deal so the Phils aren't that hurt IF things don't work out or IF the injuries are bad, but I still don't like the deal that much.

I got no problem with RA2 making one more run at winning with the pricey veterans, but this deal goes longer than that. I'm an Utley fan and I don't hate it like I did when they extended J-Rol, but I disagree with it and think they're just burying themselves further for the future with alot of the Prospects fuzzling out...

-I strongly disagreed with the Howard deal I thought it was an awful contract and clearly that is the case.
-J Roll's contract: He was excellent last year. A league average hitting shortstop with great defense and outstanding baserunning= all star. However, this year he has been disappointing across the board and I'm scared he'll be even worse next year. To be fair, I don't think he's been any worse than an average mlb shortstop, he's just not the same as he's been.

-Utley: He's the one they HAD to keep, because he's the fan favorite and nobody plays harder than him. If we lost howard or rollins to free agency I don't think fans would care that much. The fact that they now have him locked into such a cleverly constructed contract means they won't lose money on his performance on the field, and he will make them money from a promotional standpoint. So it's a great deal in my opinion.

This could be a winning team next year if healthy. It's a big if, but imagine a healthy version of the following team:
Revere
Utley
Ruf
Howard
Brown
Franco
Rollins
Ruiz/Kratz

Cliff Lee
Cole Hamels
Floyd/Garza/Santana/etc...(A LOT of decent 3rd starter options)
Kendrick
Biddle/Pettibone/Halladay

??
??
??GET SOMEONE
Mike Adams
Papelbon

Members online

Latest posts