Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

POLL: What are YOUR feelings on Graded Cards.

What are YOUR feelings on Graded Cards.

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I don't look for graded cards and I don't need my cards graded.

When I hear things like it took me 5 times but I got that sub bumped and got the 9.5...that is just BS.

If I grade cards down the road it will be with PSA.

I have 2 feelings.

1. There good for me cause im very picky when it comes to buying high end cards such as rookies for Bowman chrome. Id have to buy one graded. For example, when i put together a Longoria Rainbow ill buy em all graded.

2. There the ONLY way to go when buying high end cards off ebay. Unless you collect 1 player like me (McGwire) some cards you dont care the condition but when buying to invest in rookie cards, You'll always know what your getting if your buying a graded card. For me 9's and higher only. and the auto Must be a 10 of course.

Btw, i use psa/dna all the time for my IP mcgwires.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Adamsince1981 said:

When I hear things like it took me 5 times but I got that sub bumped and got the 9.5...that is just BS.

Says the man with a BGS slab as a sig LOL

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:

Right...I didn't say I didn't own some, it just isn't important to me.

That was my only grading submission and the only reason I did it was because they were in KC at a Tri-Star show.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Adamsince1981 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:

That was my only grading submission and the only reason I did it was because they were in KC at a Tri-Star show.

Ahh gothca. Just an FYI, PSA will "re-evalute" for a customer as well.

Having dealt with buying a lot of each, id give BGS the advantage over PSA not only in strictness of grading, but more importantly, quality of holder

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:

Having dealt with buying a lot of each, id give BGS the advantage over PSA not only in strictness of grading, but more importantly, quality of holder

There is no doubt when it comes to the quality of the holder...that is why I really don't mind finding a cool card that is BGS slabbed.

Does it bother you to know that you could be buying a BGS 9.5 that could have been slabbed a 9 or pre-graded a 9 and re-submitted a few times until someone gave in, did a favor, or felt differently???

fengzhang

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I think the standards of some of the companies (esp. BGS) has gone south.
But, grading is almost a must when selling/buying rookie cards over the internet. There are just too many unscrupulous sellers to trust their judgment on condition.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Adamsince1981 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:

There is no doubt when it comes to the quality of the holder...that is why I really don't mind finding a cool card that is BGS slabbed.

Does it bother you to know that you could be buying a BGS 9.5 that could have been slabbed a 9 or pre-graded a 9 and re-submitted a few times until someone gave in, did a favor, or felt differently???

Does that borther me? probably a little but the process is subject to human error.

But as an internet buyer 99+% of the time (i attend about one show a year), i like to know what i am sending
someone my money for. Long ago, i got fed up with internet stupid eBay sellers that cant handle BASIC html, and rely on eBays pathetic photo hosting pics that enable those sellers to call all of their cards "Mint", only having to return many over-self graded cards.

ronzo

Sep 8, 2008
Stroudsburg, PA
For me, grading is a waste of money. I don't have anything impressive that would have an increased value due to grading, so I'd rather put my money towards more cards. Yes, the protection is nice, but I'm not interested in spending that much to protect them.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
to elaborate on the importance of know what you are buying before you buy it, here is a "typical" raw buy for me in the spring of 2005....

Scan10250HeritageBlack2.jpg

i won it for less than $5. i wanted THE card, not the $5.
$5 is easy to replace, the cards, not so much.

How many times can you hear "well, just return it, and i will refund your money (minus the return S&H)"
before it gets really bothersome?

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
ThoseBackPages said:
to elaborate on the importance of know what you are buying before you buy it, here is a "typical" raw buy for me in the spring of 2005....

Scan10250HeritageBlack2.jpg

i won it for less than $5. i wanted THE card, not the $5.
$5 is easy to replace, the cards, not so much.

How many times can you hear "well, just return it, and i will refund your money (minus the return S&H)"

EDIT: This is MY scan, certainly nothing close to what the seller had posted

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
Adamsince1981 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
[quote="Adamsince1981":syp7ns44]I don't look for graded cards and I don't need my cards graded.

Does that borther me? probably a little but the process is subject to human error.

But as an internet buyer 99+% of the time (i attend about one show a year), i like to know what i am sending
someone my money for. Long ago, i got fed up with internet stupid eBay sellers that cant handle BASIC html, and rely on eBays pathetic photo hosting pics that enable those sellers to call all of their cards "Mint", only having to return many over-self graded cards.[/quote:syp7ns44]

I don't see how it doesn't bother you and others more...You buy a 9.5 and show it off...when it could be in the same condition or worse than a card slabbed a 9...knowing that, where is the value?

As far as you being a picky internet buyer...a huge portion of the cards that my buddies get graded are un-graded cards that they purchase online.

I had 250 feedback from an ebay account that got hacked and I'm currently at 578 on my real ebay account...I've never had to send a card back and I've never had someone complain about the condition of my cards.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
1. A necessity for vintage
2. A value booster for modern rookies if 9+.
3. For autos, gu, and other cards, not necessary.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Graded cards for investment are nice, but I couldn't care less if anything in my own collection is graded...I'd rather just buy more cards instead of sending stuff in or paying a premium to buy a graded card. BGS cases sure are nice though.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
ThoseBackPages said:

I hate this. I don't sell on ebay so I rarely go to the post office, and I work late so the post office is usually closed when I get out. It's a hassle for me to get to the post office to return a card. I don't see why sellers think that every card in the world is NM-MT even with dinged corners or creases around the GU area.

Members online

Latest posts