Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Week 5 Hot and Cold List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
There were some nice team match-ups this week but not a lot of card moving performances. I'll check later today with a better sample size to see how big of a bump Jeffery and Williams got after their big games. Both were in losing efforts which does take a little gloss off the performances. As such the cards might not be flying just yet. Both of these guys are quickly becoming #2 receivers and will be effective #1 when Marshall and Bryant are well covered. They may produce a fantasy point roller coaster through the remainder of the season but both play for popular teams and have ample room for additional price bumps. Hoyer is a prime example of why it can be dangerous jumping on a bandwagon. Hopefully he can get back in the game. I'm no Cleveland fan but was rooting for him living his dream.

Hot
Alshon Jeffery - Huge 200+ yard game on the Bears squad will get you bids. A losing effort or this would have been a bigger deal.
Terrence Williams - Dallas rookies producing get respect in a hurry. Scores on BINs hit. I really liked like guy at Baylor and suspect he's got ample staying power.
Peyton Manning (Broncos uniform) - Leaving him on here. Cards still flying.
Jimmy Graham - On pace for one of greatest receiving seasons in history... as a TE. Rookie and autos getting scooped up and I sense there is room to grow.
T.Y. Hilton - Speedy second year vet shamed Richard Sherman. That's impressive. I should have waited a week to sell my slabs.
Jamaal Charles - Rookie Refractor cards that were fetching a buck or two a month ago now double. Not a huge absolute value but solid percent.
Geno Smith - He's back. Last week he was stone cold and then a nearly flawless 3TD MNF followed. A Finest Xfractor fetched $8 and other cheaper Finest parallels have bounced back nicely from last week's doldrums. Lower end Platinum parallels not getting as much action as the market seems flooded with them.

Honorable mention
Nick Foles - Bound to get more playing time at the rate Vick gets destroyed. More of a wait and see than bona fide hot cardboard.
Andre Ellington - Quietly becoming primary back for Arizona... but it's Arizona. Another one to watch.
Andrew Luck - It's gonna be tough to get his cards moving a lot higher but I did see some base rookies go for a little more after his nice victory against a tough Seattle team.
Vincent Brown - Good hands receiver out of SDSU burst on the scene during a TNF game against same opponent in 2011. An ankle injury derailed his sophomore season before it began. He looked sharp against the Raiders again but it's likely gonna take a few more solid games to even gather half the hype after that rookie TNF game.

Cold
Brian Hoyer - ACL translates to "All Cards Lower".
Carolina Panthers - Newton prices a shell of their former glory. Kuechly autos will get some mild bidding activity then it's pretty vacant.
Matt Schaub - Getting pulled after 3 picks never helps your card value. His cards were already lackluster.

Last edited:

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Good list. I told Gilmore that TY Hilton was for real and he didn't believe me. I scooped up everything I could with his name on it that was under $5. Flipped at $10-15 (I had about 20 autos, so still decent profit) and might regret doing that now. Kid is legit. Whenever a small school guy makes the Rookie Premiere, there is generally always a reason. Those guys usually are dirt cheap at release and before the season starts so always worth a pick up. I sold a base, refractor, blue and green Hilton Leaf Metal auto lot last year for $85 and laughed all the way to the bank (spent $30 on it).

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
I made plenty of money on Hilton but always seemed to sell before a really big game. Oh well. I made some money and have a couple more slabs in my mailbox today. He went into a perfect situation. Solid albeit rookie QB, a team lacking depth at the position, and a team that was gonna pass given they would be playing from behind with what was once a meager defense. Receivers offer some big returns for the patient folks as they rarely blow up the first half of their rookie seasons. If Stephen Hill can string together a couple big games then I'm sitting pretty. Terrance Williams looked good even before the big game yesterday and I could see him fill Austin's role on that team. Not a bad place to be. I'm gonna be a buyer on the low end. I'm too broke for anything else.

Last edited:

bmc398

May 25, 2009
I made plenty of money on Hilton but always seemed to sell before a really big game. Oh well. I made some money and have a couple more slabs in my mailbox today. He went into a perfect situation. Solid albeit rookie QB, a team lacking depth at the position, and a team that was gonna pass given they would be playing from behind with what was once a meager defense. Receivers offer some big returns for the patient folks as they rarely blow up the first half of their rookie seasons. If Stephen Hill can string together a couple big games then I'm sitting pretty. Terrance Williams looked good even before the big game yesterday and I could see him fill Austin's role on that team. Not a bad place to be. I'm gonna be a buyer on the low end. I'm too broke for anything else.

And this is why I LOVE football rookies. Every player has their day to sell. That crappy $5 auto from finest? Hold it for a year and you'll have a chance to get $10+ more at some point.

With baseball prospects, you are either a good prospect with a high buy in, or a crappy one with a low buy in and little chance to sell. If you are going to low end prospect, football is the place to do it.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The man in my sig has seen some very-slight increases as I'm sure the 60 yard+ run he had from the backfield caught some people's attention last week. Contenders are just starting to creep up.

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Cobb stuff got a nice bump and mention in one thread earlier in the season. It's probably gonna take a 150 yard 2TD game or some playoff notice to go much higher from here. As I Packers fan, I certainly like the guy. I added Geno Smith to the hot list with a couple notes after his MNF performance.

The man in my sig has seen some very-slight increases as I'm sure the 60 yard+ run he had from the backfield caught some people's attention last week. Contenders are just starting to creep up.

Members online

Latest posts