Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

An idea that could revolutionize trading cards... HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
My buddy and I were bouncing ideas off each other for cards, designs, concepts tonight and came up with something pretty AMAZING! -

Now how to protect the idea and see if there is something really there and present it to a card company or two and get a nice pay day?

- AJ

The idea/concept is used in similar products but has never been mated with trading cards. Hopefully not too vague - Any help is Appreciated.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
My buddy and I were bouncing ideas off each other for cards, designs, concepts tonight and came up with something pretty AMAZING! -

Now how to protect the idea and see if there is something really there and present it to a card company or two and get a nice pay day?

- AJ

The idea/concept is used in similar products but has never been mated with trading cards. Hopefully not too vague - Any help is Appreciated.

as I said in another thread about a topic very similar to this, patent the idea to protect yourself legally and build up a legal fund.

You should create a small release and sell some product using this idea to best demonstrate there is interest/desire for it among collectors because if you have just a patented idea and approach Topps or Panini or Leaf, they may be likely to just poo-poo the idea. If you have a limited release that makes it obvious the idea is desired or works well, I think they would be more receptive to try to license it or purchase the idea. Worst case scenario is you can fight them in court if you've approached them with your idea and they add it to their releases without a license or acquisition.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
I would advise to spend real money on a solid patent... If you do not spend the big bucks to make it ironclad, you will regret it.. Just ask Adrian Gluck who had a patent on game used cards.. Fortunately for him, he collected millions before people knew patent was flawed.. Bad news, he spent many more millions filing and defending patent.. BG

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I would advise to spend real money on a solid patent... If you do not spend the big bucks to make it ironclad, you will regret it.. Just ask Adrian Gluck who had a patent on game used cards.. Fortunately for him, he collected millions before people knew patent was flawed.. Bad news, he spent many more millions filing and defending patent.. BG

Great post.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Maybe I'll go on the "Shark Tank" show... Lol

there's a great poor man's idea - just make sure the patent is in place before doing so and then be prepared to give up 25-50% of the business assets/flows to the Shark Tank funder depending on how much money is being requested.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
there's a great poor man's idea - just make sure the patent is in place before doing so and then be prepared to give up 25-50% of the business assets/flows to the Shark Tank funder depending on how much money is being requested.

Not sure whether the "sharks" will view the patent as a business since your only real hope is to sell the idea to one of the companies. Personally I'd go to someone like Brian (Leaf) with the idea and find out what terms he might be willing to offer if the idea is a sound one. The number may be far less than you feel it is worth but from what I have seen, (and I don't mean this as a knock on your idea) million dollar ideas are a dime a dozen; in 99% of the cases nothing is done with it and the person no has the idea can't really act on it.

(Regarding the patent route, if you can spend the thousands of dollars and time it may be worth considering).

RAZOR-Z

Apr 3, 2012
The Motor City
Thank you all for the great advice! - I think it would be something that people would REALLY like... and the possibilities are HUGE.

Members online

Latest posts