Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

U Trading Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This will mean nothing to most members here, but anyone who shopped at the U Trading Cards store in Seattle might appreciate this.

When I was going to the University of Washington, I almost always had time to kill. I commuted across the Sound so I would stay on or near campus until all my classes were done, then I would head home.

A favorite time killer between classes was to walk over to U Trading Cards, a retail card shop in the University District. It was located on the corner of 50th & Roosevelt. I spent many hours there and even bumped into a couple pro athletes while I was hanging out, both one time Seattle players John Tresvant (Sonics) and Lenny Randle (Mariners).

I don’t recall when the shop closed, but I thought it had closed up on pretty short notice and now been gone a pretty long while. I heard the owner (Mike Livingston) had possibly done some foreign traveling initially, but not sure and I have not heard what ever became of him. Someone I spoke with who knew him though he heard he had passed away, but that was not confirmed.

I hope he is still around and doing well. I always enjoyed that shop and is one of my all time favorites. I also have to wonder whatever became of all the stock he had when he closed up.

Anyway, drove by today and this is the old spot. Tea anyone? By the way, Ted’s was there when Mike was still around and I think there was a small cafe or market in between. Don’t recall now.

98DA51D0-0F48-4F8D-A08A-8A22245CDFA9.jpeg

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks for sharing that story. It reminds me of some card shops around west Denver that I used to frequent way back when. Most gone, but at least one is still around - Jordan's! Used to be on Colfax, now on 44th, but still pretty much the same. The gravelly voiced owner is a trip. Love that guy. I highly recommend anyone visiting Denver to stop in. And also Bill's Sports Collectibles on south Broadway - it's an institution.

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
Mike was a great help to us when I worked at Beckett and was the book price guide editor because of his knowledge and interest in "odd-ball" cards and was always willing to assist.

Please let me know if you get any further details about Mike

Thanks!
Rich

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
He closed sometime between 1998 and maybe 2006. The end year may be way off too. I graduated from school in 98, so I know it was after that and stopped by a few times after I started working, but I just can't recall when he closed his doors.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Maybe ask Don at DJ's.. He's been in the business a long time as well.. I've been down here in So Cal since 2014, so I haven't kept up with anyone for awhile.. I still get a few things from DJ's as well as Brian out on South Hill who I have been doing business with since 1985.. :cool:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Maybe ask Don at DJ's.. He's been in the business a long time as well.. I've been down here in So Cal since 2014, so I haven't kept up with anyone for awhile.. I still get a few things from DJ's as well as Brian out on South Hill who I have been doing business with since 1985.. :cool:
I am not sure Don really gets around. I imagine he is so busy with his family and his own shop. I have chatted with him about the local market before and he seemed disconnected outside of his area.

There are a few long time collectors I might be able to ask. I am guessing some of the WA State club members probably know. Looked into joining years back, but never followed through.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I am not sure Don really gets around. I imagine he is so busy with his family and his own shop. I have chatted with him about the local market before and he seemed disconnected outside of his area.

There are a few long time collectors I might be able to ask. I am guessing some of the WA State club members probably know. Looked into joining years back, but never followed through.
Maybe check with Brian out at TheBaseballCardShop in South Hill Puyallup as he has been around awhile..

Dodgerfan74

Oct 6, 2008
I remember going to Burbank Sports Cards before it became huge and looking through their boxes. There was also a smaller card shop in Burbank owned by a guy I went to HS with.

Members online

Latest posts