Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the day Friday December 13, 2013 Thanks for the memories Jackie!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
On this day in 1956, the Dodgers traded Jackie Robinson to their inter-city rivals the New York Giants in return for Dick Littlefield and a small pile of cash. Now Dodger fans know that we have never seen a baseball card of Robinson in a Giants uniform nor have we seen pictures of him playing in the Polo Grounds for any team other than the Dodgers. The reason for this is that when Robinson heard he was traded he decided to retire and take a position with the Chock Full of Nuts coffee company, rather than playing for the rival Giants. On December 13, 1956 Jackie Robinson was not only traded to the Giants but retired from the game that he helped to revolutionize.

I hope you enjoy today's photos of the day.

Jackie Robinson posing for a photo entering into the Dodgers Clubhouse while still a member of the Montreal Royals. Not long after this photo was snapped, Jackie would get his chance to walk through the door for real and never looked back.

Jackie20Robinson20Clubhouse_zps34aa7686.jpg

Jackie leaving that same clubhouse after clearing out his locker and retiring from the game he changed forever.

Untitled-1copy_zpsbf19a304.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I was in Hardee's a couple of days ago and and employee there had a name tag that read Jackie Robertson. Knew exactly who he was named after. There are very, very few who could have done what he did. He was so great at many sports, too.
DANNY

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Whys there a cat in the clubhouse hallway?

Sent from my iPhone

As someone who has been around an old ballpark on days when fans were not there...it is not unusual to have a few cats around the place keeping it free from the other vermin that likes to hang around places where people throw food on the ground! :)

Latest posts