Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you feel about Leaf Trinity patch cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Leaf has brought "Event Worn" over to the Baseball side of the hobby.

Personally, I absolutely hate it. Event worn is one of the wort things that has ever happened to this hobby. The only ones that are close to acceptable to me are Topps All Star Jersey Relics. Those are from an actual "event". These are jerseys that were worn for the sole reason of being inserted into cards.

Even worse, they are Replica Jerseys.

Replica:
$_57.JPG

Authentic:
IMG_879450percent.jpg

Absolutely terrible!

From the cards that I have seen on eBay, they are all Replica Jerseys, except for Carlos Correa.

$_57.JPG

But of course it's the old Astro's jerseys.

I know, don't buy it if you don't like it. What I hate is the concept of "Even Worn" baseball cards. Hopefully Topps doesn't get any ideas...

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It works in the fb market, why not in baseball?

Are there any other prospect cards which routinely feature patch autos?

I mean, it's not like Leaf is trying to, oh I don't know, pass off a slice of bench as a Ruth bat.

Says right on the front it's player worn so the buyer knows what it is.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
It's an unnecessary addition to a card. The football crap is weird to me too. So when I buy football, I buy accordingly which means I pay minimally for the card. Yes they look nice but why not get something actually game worn ? Even if we had to wait, it would be worth the wait.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
While I'm not interested in the players, it adds a little bit of value to the card, and it's probably a legal loophole so Leaf can have something on the card that associates the player with the team that drafted him without printing a team logo. They don't seem like much now, but if one of the players becomes very popular it will be an interesting early career oddball to have. Similarly, I was excited to see 2013 Ultimate Collection football patches pop up on Ebay until I realized they were all player worn. I understand why they do it for the rookies, but for players like Joe Namath who have been retired for decades it seems dumb.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
It works in the fb market, why not in baseball?

Are there any other prospect cards which routinely feature patch autos?

I mean, it's not like Leaf is trying to, oh I don't know, pass off a slice of bench as a Ruth bat.

Says right on the front it's player worn so the buyer knows what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I hate "Event Worn" football, but at least those are Authentic Jerseys were worn at the Rookie Premiere.

These are Replica Jerseys worn for the sole purpose of putting in a card. And honestly, who knows if the players actually wore the Jerseys. Was there someone there that can verify the jerseys were put on?

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
This is new in baseball? News to me. I have seen similar wording before. Pretty sure Leaf isn't 'bringing this to baseball'.

Event/player-worn is pretty lame to me though. If it isn't game-worn, then it's completely unnecessary and brings no added value to the card, IMO.

Last edited:

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I am someone who really doesn't care about game vs. event vs. player worn as much as I care about the aesthetics of the actual card. To that end, I think the screen printed replicas suck.

These have to be some of the ugliest cards I've seen in a while. Absolutely hate the use of these player / event worn jersey patches - how do they add any value to the card ??

Quality control is another issue here - How is it they can get Taveras to sign some cards (Inscriptions)
taveras auto.jpg

But not his patch cards ??
taveras non auto 2.jpgtaveras non auto.jpg

And for those wonderful Inscription cards numbered to 10
mercado.jpgsano.jpgcrawford.jpgeloy.jpg

Anyone from Leaf explain to these players that they needed to add an inscription & why didn't they pull these cards from distribution before some dishonest person adds something to them.

Sorry but from a company that wants to be a major player in the card industry this just screams FAIL FAIL FAIL !!!!

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I am not a fan but such is life. People are buying it obviously.

Honestly though, isn't Topps doing this already or worse? With Topps, you have to hang your hat on that it's not only authentic or game worn but that it's of the player on the card! God, we've seen them screw up a nameplate!

At the end of the day, perception is reality. Sad.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

BluesBroSJ

Jan 19, 2009
Kansas
I find the leaf hatred in this thread absolutely hilarious. "Event worn" is common in football, basketball, and hockey. Hell, UD's the cup rookie cards are all event worn and those are generally considered a players "best" RC. But hey, Topps never messes anything up right? Oh. Wait. You mean to tell me Topps, UD and panini all use "player / event worn" memorabilia? Hmmm, so leaf is last to the party to use this and everyone acts like they are the worst company on earth. Again, hilarious. God forbid leaf try something new that collectors have proven in all other sports that they want.

Members online

Latest posts