Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opinions from graders please. Not a "should I grade this" thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I have a few chrome autos (specifically CJ Edwards and Eddie Butler) that are slightly OC and likely not to grade above a 9. You fellas do this more than I do, so here's my question.

Is it worthwhile to sub them, knowing that I probably won't get a 9.5, but taking the chance and settling for the protection of a slab for $8? By protection I mean they should still sell well with a silver label, but the slab protects me from the bait and switch.

Hope this is clear enough. It's early and I haven't slept much this week because of work. Thoughts and opinions from you more experienced graders?

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I would not. I mean is someone going to try to screw you and upgrade to an OC card? Seams like a waste of cash and time.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I wouldn't. Sell to good buyers and save the money. Take pics of centering and auto. Autos differ on every card, wouldn't really worry about bait in switch in your case. Keep them safe in sleeves and top loader and in a team bag.

IMO, there is no reason to give bgs the $8 for nothing, keep it for yourself.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
It's more of an informative thread, as I see this asked a lot. I'm not subbing them, but I have heard so many stories of people shipping mint cards and when it arrives the buyer files not as described, then when the card comes back it has a crease or badly dinged corners. Less about the centering or auto. I only send off cards I know have a legit shot at gem or better. I don't have money to blow. Just gathering opinions for some of the people who participate in my group sub.

I did have this happen to me, on blowout. Sold a Josh Bell chrome auto. It was in my stack to send to BGS, but the dude wanted it. When it arrived, he PM'ed me saying there was a crease on the bottom/left corner. I know good and well there was no crease when it left, and no way for it to get creased in transit. Had to refund him and take the hit.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
If your card gets a 9 centering and everything else looks good then you can still get a 9.5 overall, so I might would do it if there are no other notable flaws. It has the added benefit of avoiding these jerks that buy raw cards, and when they show up not in perfect Gem Mint condition, return them as "item not as described", or the guys you referred to who return a different copy in worse condition.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
If your card gets a 9 centering and everything else looks good then you can still get a 9.5 overall, so I might would do it if there are no other notable flaws. It has the added benefit of avoiding these jerks that buy raw cards, and when they show up not in perfect Gem Mint condition, return them as "item not as described", or the guys you referred to who return a different copy in worse condition.

The first part is the risk that's worth taking. That said, i (personally) don't sub cards that I don't think are gem centering. This is because I almost always get nailed in the edges. I haven't figured that one out yet.

Members online

Latest posts