Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which statistic is more valuable in baseball, batting average or on-base percentage

Which statistic is more valuable in baseball, batting average or on-base percentage?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
The Silver Slugger is not awarded based on batting average. Ichiro was the AL batting champ in 2004 and didn't win a SS. Michael Cuddyer was #2 is batting last season, and the top OF, he didn't win any of the three AL SS awards for OF. Much like the Gold Gloves, it has a significant popularity contest aspect to it.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
What matters more, that a player gets on base, or how he does it? The ultimate aim of a player is to not account for an out; the more a team can spread out its outs, the more runs it's going to score.

The one argument I can see for AVG is that hits move other players who are on base over. As a result, if two OBPs were similar, but one had a substantially higher AVG, I can understand the argument to rank that player's performance higher. Conversely, however, walks generally take more pitches than do hits, and thus have the benefit of wearing down the opposing team's pitcher.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
A walk moves a runner on first to second, while placing a runner on first. At the same time, a sacrifice bunt moves the runner over, but records an out and leaves first base open. It is a good point that only a hit offers the possibility of multiple total bases in a single at-bat, and much more possiblity of driving in runs.

In a lot of ways, I think it depends where the player is in the lineup. You really want higher OBP at the top of the lineup where they are more likely to be driven in by the higher AVG guys behind them.

Last edited:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I voted OBP but it's close. Both warrant consideration for importance however a lot of overlapping context applies to both.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
IMO, the question isn't really simple.

What are we measuring it's usefulness for? Which is a better stat?

Getting hits are what puts a person on base and drives in runs. Getting on base creates the opportunity for runs.

Can't have one without the other.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
Statistically I feel OBP is more important as it means your guys are getting on and likely scoring, leading to runs and wins. HOWEVER, what's the stat people CARE about? .400, I don't recall anyone caring about who leads the league in OBP or who has the record.

This notice is required by law.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
It's a more difficult question than OBP hard-ons come to believe. I voted for OBP and overall, I believe it to be true. But I believe the deciding factor here is speed and contact ability. It's why Ichiro will be in the HOF. He could have a swinging bunt in-between the pitcher and the catcher off a nasty Kershaw curveball and be safe at first for a hit, which is just as good as a walk. How many of his almost 3,000 hits have been like that? 10%?

And Ichiro and Juan Pierre (in his prime) are extreme examples.

Then you look at guys like Zobrist or Choo who are not as talented hitters, have a little more pop, but have just as great of a hitter's eye b/c they do not chase the balls.

Obv the most coveted player is the guy that hits 40+ HR and draws 100+ BB, he's creating the most runs for his team.

To me, you are a premier player when you get on base 40% of the time, whether that's by hits or walks or both, it doesn't matter. That's why I voted OBP.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Of course, a player's batting average is included in OBP. The ratio of hits to getting on base any other way is what matters, that's why I agree it is a flawed question to begin with. But of course, a hit is hands-down the best way to get on base.

IE, a guy who hits .200 with an OBP of .400 is "less" valuable than a guy who hits .300 with a .400 OBP.

So although a high OBP matters a lot, how a player gets there matters more.

Last edited:

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I think it depends on how much power the player has. If they have league average power, then I would probably prefer the .270 hitter with a .360 OBP over the .300 hitter with a .330 OBP. If the hitter has a lot of power, than the better contact would be preferred since extra base hits are more likely drive runs and also place the hitter in scoring position for the next batter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts