Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MASAHIRO TANAKA SIGNS A 7-YEAR/$155M CONTRACT WITH THE YANKEES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Just reported by Ken Rosenthal.

That'll help his card values. :mrgreen: Get to it, Bowman!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Yankees To Sign Masahiro Tanaka
By Steve Adams [January 22 at 8:42am CST]
The Yankees will sign Masahiro Tanaka to a massive seven-year, $155MM contract that contains an opt-out after the fourth season, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Tanaka is represented by Excel Sports Management.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Mlb 2014

Arod cheats and gets caught, then suspended.

His team is let off on his 25 mil and can sign a top pitcher.

Nice job mlb.
A guy gets caught and his team wins.

Something needs to change with the rules.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I think it is an overpay for a guy who hasn't proven anything in MLB, but given the scarcity of pitching and the Yanks need for it, I understand why they did it. The argument for that contract is that top pitchers his age are very valuable and tough to find. If he pitches like Kuroda over the course of his contact, the Yankees will be fine. Is the opt-out after season 4 available to both sides? I'd be worried about getting Matsuzaka level performance out of him and being on the hook for 5 bad years.

bcubs

Apr 8, 2009
Springfield, IL
Thought the Cubs really had a shot here. Would be very interested in the difference of their offer if they made a serious one. He probably doesn't fit their timeline right now anyway so I guess it's not a big loss.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Waiting for the barrage of Photoshopped tanaka images from topps for up coming products.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
He's young but has a ton of innings on his arm already. Hope he pans out though. The expectations are going to be astronomical. Especially in NY.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Arent scouts pretty much in agreement he's a click behind darvish and the yankees paid him double what darvish got.

Thats a fun thing to type...

Hit the nail on the head

Mlb 2014

Arod cheats and gets caught, then suspended.

His team is let off on his 25 mil and can sign a top pitcher.

Nice job mlb.
A guy gets caught and his team wins.

Something needs to change with the rules.

And that is the Yankees' fault how?

They still have to pay him once he returns or cut him. It's not like theyre getting a free pass.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
The amount of the contract is market value. Those other teams bid plenty. The market for pitching is fierce.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Greg I told you bro

mox it's kinda like watching the nats blow their money too

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
Hit the nail on the head

And that is the Yankees' fault how?

They still have to pay him once he returns or cut him. It's not like theyre getting a free pass.

You may want to re-read what I wrote. I never blamed the yankees.

I think the rules are a joke right now, many agree. I am just using arod as the example.
The Yankees have been sitting back, hoping he would be suspended for the year, just for this signing.
Some in the MLBPA, want arod gone for good. So should a team signing a known PED guy, just be let off
the hook, when the guy gets busted again and be able to use his money or should there be some rules in
place to stop it??

A few years back the angels signed GMJ, anyone with a brain, knew he was using the years before. He got busted
and was never the same, angels had to pay his whole contract. They may still be paying him.

I just think there has to be a set of rules to manage every situation the same. If the mlb wants to stop PED use,
put some risk on the teams also for signing the guys. The yanks are loving that arod got caught and they get to spend
his money, which Im sure, in small part, is why he is taking them to court.

This isnt going to be just a yankee problem. It's bigger than the yanks, I dont think a team should benefit from
a cheater getting caught and the yanks clearly have.

Members online

Latest posts