Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Curt Schilling announces cancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Just saw that. Hopefully he can beat it quickly.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
It is a terrible thing, it really is. But, did he have to announce it on the day the Red Sox announced the 2014 HOF class?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
It is a terrible thing, it really is. But, did he have to announce it on the day the Red Sox announced the 2014 HOF class?

He definitely should have scheduled getting cancer for a different time...

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011

I'm sure the sox are ok with it and hoping the best for him. I'd guess it was't done on purpose.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
He definitely should have scheduled getting cancer for a different time...

I understand your thoughts, but I don't think you understand mine.

Like most people, I know several people, including family members, who have dealt with this disease. Some successfully, some not. Not one of them, however, announced to the world that they had cancer the day they were diagnosed. For the most part there is a more private grief/struggle that takes place before this kind of announcement. It is very possible that he did learn of it yesterday and arranged a statement, through his publicist, on the same day. Given the very public breakdown he has gone through since he left baseball it just seemed like strange timing to me.

Mind you, I am a MA native, a life long Red Sox fan and a huge supporter of him as a player and, more importantly, of the work he has done to bring awareness and funding to ALS. It is also possible that he had arranged for his announcement without knowledge of the team's HOF announcement. Again, given his very public struggles and issues, it just seemed like an odd coincidence.

Either way, it is a terrible thing.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I understand your thoughts, but I don't think you understand mine.

Like most people, I know several people, including family members, who have dealt with this disease. Some successfully, some not. Not one of them, however, announced to the world that they had cancer the day they were diagnosed. For the most part there is a more private grief/struggle that takes place before this kind of announcement. It is very possible that he did learn of it yesterday and arranged a statement, through his publicist, on the same day. Given the very public breakdown he has gone through since he left baseball it just seemed like strange timing to me.

Mind you, I am a MA native, a life long Red Sox fan and a huge supporter of him as a player and, more importantly, of the work he has done to bring awareness and funding to ALS. It is also possible that he had arranged for his announcement without knowledge of the team's HOF announcement. Again, given his very public struggles and issues, it just seemed like an odd coincidence.

Either way, it is a terrible thing.

I was being facetious. If in fact he scheduled it this way (the announcement) to garner attention, it's a kind of pathetic but I'd quicker assume that his announcement was not strategically timed but as a public figure he felt it made sense to announce and now was the time for whatever reason...

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
I was being facetious. If in fact he scheduled it this way (the announcement) to garner attention, it's a kind of pathetic but I'd quicker assume that his announcement was not strategically timed but as a public figure he felt it made sense to announce and now was the time for whatever reason...

Gotcha. Thanks.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
It seems odd to me that he hasn't stated what kind of cancer it is.

It's not all that uncommon, especially early on.
A few months ago I was diagnosed with Non Hodgekin's Lymphoma. It took my doctors several weeks to identify exactly what type is was. Schilling might just be waiting until his oncologist is completely sure.
I really am hoping for the best, it's a terrible disease that seems to touch nearly every person in some way.

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
A few months ago I was diagnosed with Non Hodgekin's Lymphoma. It took my doctors several weeks to identify exactly what type is was. Schilling might just be waiting until his oncologist is completely sure.
I really am hoping for the best, it's a terrible disease that seems to touch nearly every person in some way.

Rebel, I hope you are managing ok. If i get a name, i'll add ya to my prayer list. I deal with a health issue myself and just went through a biopsy on my daughter, thankfully, she did not have cancer. My wife was diagnosed with a preliminary test as non Hodgkin's lymphoma, but the node only showed as reactive in further testing. Lots of prayer behind that. I wish you the best. Let me know if you can use some cards to sort through. I get cards from breaks with all in cards, maybe some could be shipped to you.

Best of luck

Greg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Best of luck to you. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma at age 28; now at nearly 32, she's 3 years in remission. You can win the battle!

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Rebel, I hope you are managing ok. If i get a name, i'll add ya to my prayer list. I deal with a health issue myself and just went through a biopsy on my daughter, thankfully, she did not have cancer. My wife was diagnosed with a preliminary test as non Hodgkin's lymphoma, but the node only showed as reactive in further testing. Lots of prayer behind that. I wish you the best. Let me know if you can use some cards to sort through. I get cards from breaks with all in cards, maybe some could be shipped to you.

Best of luck

Greg

Best of luck to you. My sister-in-law was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma at age 28; now at nearly 32, she's 3 years in remission. You can win the battle!

Thank you both!
I don't mean to hijack this thread but any thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated.
6 rounds of chemo down and only two more to go! I'm sure I'll be fine, I'm a tough dude :)
James

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom

Odds are, with Schilling, if you have to ponder whether something was done to garner attention, it WAS done to garner attention. He's a massive attention *****.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
Odds are, with Schilling, if you have to ponder whether something was done to garner attention, it WAS done to garner attention. He's a massive attention *****.

I agree.

Not to diminish the "possible" severity of his illness, BUT, knowing him, he may have an abnormal skin growth that was cancerous and he made this announcement.

Members online

Latest posts