Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Photo of the Day Tuesday March 11, 2014 An incredible snapshot of Honus Wagner.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Todays photo of the day comes to us courtesy of Net54 Board Member Docpatlv who posted these snapshots he recently aquired on the Net54 baseball boards. You certainly do not see snap shots of early 20th century players very often and almost rarely do you see them of Hall of Famers such as Wagner. These photos appear to have been taken in spring training before the start of the 1915 baseball season. What I love about these photos is how simple things were in the Major Leagues back in the day. While there is a small crowd to watch the work out the playing field itself resembles a field that would have been carved out of a corn field. I can only imagine the outfield being filled with gopher holes while the infield appears to resemble a rock pile. I played on Little League fields that were better maintained than this one. As someone pointed out on Net54, its a wonder any of these infielders had any teeth left after fielding grounders on this dirt.

I hope you enjoy today's photos of the day.

Wagner on the left and Doc Johnson on the right

1915WagnerampJohnston_zps2bed124f.jpg

Close up of the Wagner

1915WagnerPhotoClose_zpsa8a89fa0.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
The gloves, the uniforms and the bases (when they really looked like sacks)!
The people in the background give it a feel of a church picnic setting.
DANNY

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
The other player is Doc Johnston, not Johnson. Team's first baseman. He only played with Pittsburgh in 1915-1916, so that does help date photos. During those years, the Pirates played their spring training games in Riverside Park, Dawson Springs KY. May be the site of the photo.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
The other player is Doc Johnston, not Johnson. Team's first baseman. He only played with Pittsburgh in 1915-1916, so that does help date photos. During those years, the Pirates played their spring training games in Riverside Park, Dawson Springs KY. May be the site of the photo.

Dropping knowledge

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

Based on the hillside, I'd certainly think its not Florida.
DANNY

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Something else that jumps out at me... the size of Wagner's hands. Look at them in that photo! Many stories told about Wagner's giant paws, and this photo really shows it - his hand look bigger than Doc's mitt!

"He was perhaps the greatest right-handed hitter of all time. He had remarkably long arms, hams for hands, and just drew the ball to him." --- Babe Ruth

Here's another photo of Honus in the same uniform also displaying those shovels on the end of his arms.

65159a_lg.jpeg

Last edited:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Something else that jumps out at me... the size of Wagner's hands. Look at them in that photo! Many stories told about Wagner's giant paws, and this photo really shows it - his hand look bigger than Doc's mitt!

"He was perhaps the greatest right-handed hitter of all time. He had remarkably long arms, hams for hands, and just drew the ball to him." --- Babe Ruth

Here's another photo of Honus in the same uniform also displaying those shovels on the end of his arms.

65159a_lg.jpeg
His hands were the first thing that jumped at me too. they are HUGE. Remind me of gorillas hands. Damn

Members online

Latest posts