Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collector Poll - Sketch Cards

Sketch Card price range

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Say a nice quality skech card of the player you collect hits eBay. What price range listed are you willing to pay for a pack-issued 1/1 sketch card of your guy, given that you find the sketch appealing?

Last edited:

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
It really depends on the specific sketch card but I'm willing to cough up the money if the artwork is high quality. I rather enjoy my one and only Dunn sketch card.

Dunn Sketch Big.jpg

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I put $30-$39.99. I spent $28 or so on my Topps Brian Kong one. If it is really well done, I'm all in.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I'm not a player collector, but I recently spent nearly $50 on each of these cards, just because I thought the artist's work was exceptional.

Also, for the sketch experts on the board, who is the artist? I have a few other of his/her works that are pack-pulled.

08_schilling_sketch_zpsc656e2c1.png

08_ramirez_sketch_zpse6bed4bb.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
As they have grown in popularity, they seem to be getting more expensive. there is also an added level of competition I had not seen before. i don't think i have spent more than $20-25 for one (i only have 2), but have lost 4-5 by not willing to spend more. The fought part is that there could potentially be no end to them as long as the artist is making a decent return. Sure, if they are honest and the same pose is kept a 1/1, but they can make a slightly different pose as another 1/1 and make similar money.

I wonder how much per hour some of these end up being.

There is one Garvey on ebay now with a bin price of $75. i just laughed when i saw it.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Can't see the poll on iPhone but I am not a fan of a sketch cards at all but maybe that's just me.

That said, I'm a player collector and if it's pack issued and part of his checklist, sad to say I would go after it.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I love sketch cards but even I'm not paying the $75-$90 that most artists seem to want to charge me to do a Dawson one.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Sketch cards of Marvel, Star Wars or other "Art Concept" based product I think are awesome and an awesome idea. Since I was 10 years old, I have had no interest in collecting non-sports anything, but when Sketch cards started out (especially Marvel/Star Wars), I was seriously thinking about picking some up.

Taking that idea and moving it to baseball cards is flat out dumb. Doesn't even make one ounce of sense. Another way for card companies to take great ideas and pound them into a greasy, vomit-inducing mulch. And anyone who buys these baseball sketch cards should be blindfolded, and tied (naked) to a tree overgrown with poison ivy.

In other words, I voted "Never Buy"...

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I like them. Especially when you can really tell who the sketch card is. I picked this one up a few years ago before I really knew what they were. I got it so cheap that I thought it was junk:
Jeter2008StadiumClubSketches51-1.jpg

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I like them. Especially when you can really tell who the sketch card is. I picked this one up a few years ago before I really knew what they were. I got it so cheap that I thought it was junk:
Jeter2008StadiumClubSketches51-1.jpg
That's a sweet Roy Smalley! (or is that Rick Cerone?)

**edit** to add :cool: for people who don't get my lame humor...

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I got a couple Sizemores. I'm afraid to dig too hard into my memory to recall the price I paid for the first one ($80 sounds familiar). But then 2 or 3 more appeared that looked similar, like photocopied and degraded photos colored on with conte crayons or colored pencil, not actual sketches and I think I paid $15 or so for one more. A really nice original drawing would pique my interest. As would I suppose the Perez 1/1 from A&G.

The early Topps ones didn't have names so like the Bret Boone above, it's extremely tough to identify them sometimes. One guy kept listing a sketch as Sizemore but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Victor Martinez. Didn't buy.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I would go after a pack-issued sketch card if the price was right. If it was my first one (which any sketch card would be at this point), I may be willing to pay a little more.

Members online

Latest posts