Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another newspaper card I was not aware of…The Burlington (Vermont) Free Press

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Picked up a few of these on ebay with best offers. Nothing too exciting, but i love this kind of thing! I guess there were Expos, Red Sox and Yankee players featured in 1978.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Always nice to find oddball stuff! I suppose not many newspaper cards have survived intact like this, as many were probably cut out by kids and glued to notebooks or tacked to bedroom walls.

That Gullett belongs in the thread about bad baseball card faces! He looks a little stunned, like he's constipated or something. :p

- Rodrick

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I'm not sure what's worse for Gullett: the unflattering picture or the unflattering write-up!

...those career numbers were not too shabby though.....sadly he was done after the '78 season due to injury at age 27.

Interesting that I just remembered by reading his bio, he won 4 WS in a row, 2 with the Reds and 2 with the Yankees '75-78.

Last edited:

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Interesting that I just remembered by reading his bio, he won 4 WS in a row, 2 with the Reds and 2 with the Yankees '75-78.

I don't think I remember seeing baseball cards printed in newspapers. I assume the back doesn't have anything relevant to the card front? As for this guy, whoa! What is the record for most consecutive World Series wins?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Every newspaper card I have seen has whatever was on the next page on back. They were all pretty much front issue items only. i think these are under appreciated and under valued. Like was said, most people didn't think to save these with much care. Millions of newspapers, but most went in to the trash back in the day.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
That Gullett belongs in the thread about bad baseball card faces! He looks a little stunned, like he's constipated or something. :p
While Guidry looks like someone just insulted his sister.

"Somebody's gettin' their ass kicked after this photo shoot."

Members online

Latest posts