Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Accuracy of PSA/DNA "Authenticated" Autos?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
I have 50+ Randy Johnson autos from 1997 to present and each and everyone of them no more than a standard deviation off if this handwriting style:
1404667203763.jpg

So when I see an encased auto CERTIFIED by PSA like this one i squint my eyes and have a befuddled look on my face.
1404667366718.jpg

I am no handwriting expert, but I see absolutely no similarities. Anyone else question these type of autos?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JustinG08

Aug 9, 2008
Clearwater, FL
Randy has two very different autographs, the one on the bottom is what you normally will get as a free IP auto. For paid signings he gives his nice full auto like the one above.

Here are a few recent IP autographs from another site showing how different they can be compared to his paid auto.

Last edited:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
PSA/DNA can be hit or miss at best, but they are the industry standard if you want to sell something signed.

At some point of his career, Johnson had a paid sit down version of his autograph and a version he gave out when he was randomly signing autographs for fans.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Haha - it's is though. I mean it's pretty genius of him to have two different autos and to do that his entire career.

That all said, who really knows what's real and what's fake? I always think back to the member here who collected IP autos at baseball games and sent all like 200 into PSA and we all took bets on how many come back as NOT being authentic, even though every one of them was signed in person lol. It was like 12 or something. Just goes to tell you.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Haha - it's is though. I mean it's pretty genius of him to have two different autos and to do that his entire career.

That all said, who really knows what's real and what's fake? I always think back to the member here who collected IP autos at baseball games and sent all like 200 into PSA and we all took bets on how many come back as NOT being authentic, even though every one of them was signed in person lol. It was like 12 or something. Just goes to tell you.

I always wondered that! I have hundreds of autos I've gotten IP, and I've always wondered what would happen if I sent them in to get authenticated. Interesting that someone else here did that.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
They are just guys who think they know better than most. Some, perhaps all, have some level of formal training on handwriting, but maybe not. We have probably all seen the videos and heard the stories where they were wrong or fooled and that is not surprising. I see threads on different sites all the time where people ask for opinions and there are always an endless supply of "experts" on the subject who have no doubt whatsoever in their opinions.

I like to think I have a pretty good eye, having bought cards for many years, but I am no expert by any means. So few of my autographs were in person, so I guess i really have nothing to go by other than a feeling and comparison to similar "certified" items. I try to buy where the risk seems low, with known sellers, sometimes listings that appear genuine (you can usually tell between the guy who found a handful of autographs from when he was a kid and the guy who seems to have endless Jordan, Jeter and Montana autographs for super cheap!

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I've seen some slabbed Peyton Manning's that are laughable. When looking for an autograph, do your homeowrk and buy one you bellieve to be authentic and not base it on a random guy's OPINION.

Members online

Latest posts