Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Love for baseball cards.. But not baseball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
For most, the love of baseball cards obviously stems from the passion for baseball. Cards are a way to continue your passion for the sport or please you for whatever reason.

Sure I like baseball.. I catch a game every now and then, and go to one every occasionally, but I don't watch all the games and regularly I don't even know what's going on. But I absolutely am in love with the hobby of baseball cards, for most people the cards are collected from the people they see in the sport and that's how they are discovered.

For me, it's reverse. I see the sport as the people/cards I collect coming to life.. I go from cards to baseball, not baseball To cards.

Is that strange? Anyone else in the same boat? I know I probably didn't examine it all to well but it was just a rant that was not thought out much I guess.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I started cards.. No idea why then 91 I went full on baseball for the next 20 years. Watching any game I could which fueled my collecting. Since griffeys retirement I no longer have tv so a game is maybe once a month. Still interested in Seattle and felix hernandez but the following the sport like I did is gone. My passion for collecting still remains.. Albeit more focused on the history

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I imagine for many in the hobby it's not hard to have love for cards but not baseball (prospectors or box busters who want the challenge of turning a profit from any box), just like there are likely plenty of people in the stock market who have love for stocks and the thrill of trying to play the market to make money more than they do wanting to work for, shop at, or use the services of the companies they invest in.

You don't have to have a love of the sport to prospect or a love of companies to invest in stocks. You just have to be able to do your homework to crunch stats (baseball) or finanical data (companies) to have a shot at success.

Techniq

Jan 2, 2014
South San Francisco, CA
Good point.. I mainly meant from a non-profit stance, not that I was specific or anything though but I never though of it the way you laid it out.. That is very true.

It's funny how that bothers me a little bit, yet I probably support it almost every time I make a purchase on eBay.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The two went hand in hand for me when I first became interested. By buying the cards, the tendency was for me to follow the game as well and I enjoyed catching games in person, watching them on TV, catching SportsCenter for the highlights. However, at some point I lost interest in the sport. Games became an overt expensive hassle. Tickets, parking, concessions…it was all over priced and greedy! I stopped following the game actively and after a while, didn't really know or care who was who. I stopped watching SportsCenter regularly and that made it worse.

I still enjoy the hobby as much as I did before. However, I don't buy next product other that select singles aftermarket. I like vintage more than new. I don't care about the latest prospects unless they play for the Dodgers or will eventually play for them. I like the history of the game more, but I am admittedly missing the current events that are becoming the next generation's history.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i couldn't care less about todays game. Baseball is dull to me. Not dull as in boring, because rest assured Baseball is anything BUT boring. i guess working in baseball for 10 seasons now has turned me into less and less of a fan.

i'll always love the sport though, no denying that. Also very glad that there are endless ways to collect cards, both old and new

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Love them both. I started reading box scores, watching games on tv, listening to them on radio, and opening a few packs of baseball cards as a kid in the 60's. Go Phillies!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts