Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sellers love this!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Sellers love having 2 idiots like this bidding on their stuff! What purpose does being in the lead serve, other than to jack up the price for yourself?! If you bid like this too, well...SELLER ARE LOVING YOU!

Oh yes, this is insane too! It's Brian Wilson! Give me a break. Collecting in 2023 is painful. Yes, I was hoping to bid on this, but was knocked out before I had a chance to start.

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 5.44.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-01 at 5.43.37 PM.png

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Some people don't understand how ebay bidding works, or they have weird compulsion where they have to be in the lead. Some people just don't care and will enter their top bid and say if they get it cheaper, fine, if they get it for their max, fine, if they get outbid, fine. I remember one guy talking about how sniping was "*****" and real men wouldn't do it.

I can't speak to the card as I don't care for Archives myself, but I can imagine this guy inspires a very small but very hardcore collector base.
Brian-Wilson.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I landed a Heritage buyback of Wilson in a Dodgers uni pretty early in the release and felt I over paid for mine (and I did, if we are being honest). The one huge advantage to archives signature is the chance to get manufacture certified autographs from unique teams because they are all buyback (or old stock). Wilson probably had no certified Dodger cards or none I have ever seen and they are all selling strong at the moment, but that particular one was almost 4X what I paid for mine!

Kuroda is another this year that is topping $50 on each sale. I get that he is a Japanese player and there is a market simply for that, but he was not a star in MLBs.

Part of this is strong demand (like me) for unique certified cards on a specific team (or set), but I know part of this is still people with no clue, overpaying and driving prices up on stuff that should sell for a fraction of the price. stupid money

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The one huge advantage to archives signature is the chance to get manufacture certified autographs from unique teams because they are all buyback (or old stock).

The Bob Gibson Turn Back the Clock card and Ken Griffey Sr. in my signed 1988 Topps set are actually Archives buybacks. With Gibson it was a good way to get a certified auto on a card nobody in their right mind would get signed, and with Griffey I found one pretty cheap. The gold stamp on the front isn't a lot different from a card with a JSA sticker on the back. The David Justice in my signed A's collection is also an Archives buyback since he didn't have any certified A's autos otherwise. Looks great! I don't generally have much interest in these types of cards for guys that have plenty of A's autographs, though.

Regarding the weird bidding...a competitor of mine would bid like that. He got super mad when I would snipe and win something. I wanted to tell him, dude just bid your max amount at some point and if my snipe is less than you would pay I wouldn't win it. But why would I want to plant that idea in a competitor's head?

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
First year of Archives 1/1s was great. Then Topps got lazy and greedy and used the same crap base cards over again with a new stamp for different years, and of course stamp them "1/1". At this point, I won't even buy another Clemens Archives "1/1". Totally ruined it to me.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Anyone that doesn't use snipe bidding on eBay is living in a weird fantasy world. I only manually place a bid if I'm worried a competitor will hit the BIN and I feel the auction should end well under that price.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I subscribe to Gixen and have for a number of years. I think it is about $8 a year now. They do have a free option, but it sucks now. Limited number of free ones per month I think and you have to wait for a timer to expire to even get to the free ones.

I'll stop subscribing when my buying declines someday.

Members online

Latest posts