Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scanning shiny cards - best result settings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I'm using a CanoScan 4400F - I'd like to capture the cards in the best light, showing off the gloss of some of my collection. I'm currently using the default settings - anyone have some suggestions for enhancing the quality of the scans?

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I have the same scanner and have run into the same issue. I have tried many different methods. For the most part it's difficult to capture the refractor shine. Lid up with cardboard placed over the card at 600 DPI is what I use. Most of my scans come out very good. Here is one I did just last night. Personally I think I have higher quality than Backpages. ;)
fraziergold.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
MOFNY said:
I have the same scanner and have run into the same issue. I have tried many different methods. For the most part it's difficult to capture the refractor shine. Lid up with cardboard placed over the card at 600 DPI is what I use. Most of my scans come out very good. Here is one I did just last night. Personally I think I have higher quality than Backpages. ;)
fraziergold.jpg

ive never used 600dpi.

just the basic settings which has 300dpi

now since i helped you select that scanner, this is a case of student being better than the teacher lol

heres an ordinary ole' 300dpi that aint too shabby :)

Bruce2007BChromeBlueRefBGS9.jpg

mhsbaseball34

Aug 10, 2008
MOFNY said:
fraziergold.jpg

That looks really nice. I have the 8800f and can not get the stupid rainbow lines to go away, so I may get something else.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
MOFNY said:
fraziergold.jpg
Lets see a slab scan ;)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
mhsbaseball34 said:
MOFNY said:
fraziergold.jpg

That looks really nice. I have the 8800f and can not get the stupid rainbow lines to go away, so I may get something else.

time for you to pick up the 4400F, thats what three of us here are using lol

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I've been scanning with the lid up - definitely the best results there. The cards I'm really having trouble with are the 'metal' looking cards, such as this '94 Leaf Limited and '96 leaf base.

leaf94limited_F116.jpg
leaf96_F180.jpg

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
The best way i've found to scan those is to put them in a penny sleeve and toploader, then just crop it out. Try it and LMK how it works out for ya.

Craig Smith

Aug 13, 2008
Bemus Point, NY
I also use the 4400F.

I think my red refractors scan ok but I sure have troubles with superfractors. I get too much green and can not seem to get rid of it.

IMAGE SETTINGS:
600 DPI
Auto Tone ON
Descreen ON
Fading Correction LOW
Grain Correction HIGH
Backlight Correction LOW

MARCEAUX%20RED%20AUTO.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
TNP777 said:
I've been scanning with the lid up - definitely the best results there. The cards I'm really having trouble with are the 'metal' looking cards, such as this '94 Leaf Limited and '96 leaf base.

leaf94limited_F116.jpg
leaf96_F180.jpg

maybe you need to scan the cards in something, then self crop?

Jefferies1994LeafLimitedGold.jpgJefferies1996LeafSilver.jpg

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
TBP - I'll try that, and mess around with other stuff, too.

I did scan this for my oddball page. Turned out nice!

oddball82BKlid.jpg

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
boxbreaker44 said:
MOFNY said:
fraziergold.jpg
Lets see a slab scan ;)
Ask and you shall receive...granted this one isn't perfect.
mauer.jpg

Members online

Latest posts