Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why are some of these cards on ebay so inexpensive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwblue

Sep 6, 2014
There are numerous 1985 Topps rack packs with Roger Clemens showing.

Even when I was collecting back in 1985 these were difficult to find.

They look like they are gem mint packs too and not that expensive.

How is this so?

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
There are numerous 1985 Topps rack packs with Roger Clemens showing.

Even when I was collecting back in 1985 these were difficult to find.

Now there are 100 of them on ebay selling for so little.

They look like they are gem mint packs too.

How can this be?

Obviously supply isn't scarce (IIRC Topps pretty much had a pattern to their collation for the most part so it doesn't surprise me Clemens is showing on lots of racks that people saved unopened hoping it would be a financial windfall someday), the Clemens card itself isn't overly valuable anymore, Clemens' actions haven't exactly made him have hobby love now, plus he's not a HOF and who knows if he will ever be.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Very few people collect Clemens anymore, what with him being just barely above the ranks of Bonds and ARod in the 'social pariah' scale. You can probably go to any decent show and find 1985 Topps Clemens RCs in dollar boxes. Gem Mint copies are another story, but I am sure there are plenty of those to go around. Of course, maybe I'm biased since I once loved Clemens, and then he became one of my least favorite people.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
You can probably go to any decent show and find 1985 Topps Clemens RCs in dollar boxes.

Or just checking ebay completed listings, a lot of copies went for under $3 dlvd.

maybe I'm biased since I once loved Clemens, and then he became one of my least favorite people.

I don't blame you one bit - Clemens going to the evil rival can do that to a Red Sox fan. ;) I don't get why Boggs isn't hated by Red Sox fans for the same reason.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Or just checking ebay completed listings, a lot of copies went for under $3 dlvd.

I don't blame you one bit - Clemens going to the evil rival can do that to a Red Sox fan. ;) I don't get why Boggs isn't hated by Red Sox fans for the same reason.

I may have mentioned it before, but my aunt's father was Clemens' accountant when he had a chicken restaurant around here. He got me a signed baseball, and the day Clemens signed with Toronto, I went and sold it to my LCS. I had an equal amount of hate for Boggs, especially when he sat his big old chicken eating, reporter nailing ass up on that horse in New York. But he wasn't juicing, so there aren't as many negatives with him as with Clemens.

Latest posts