Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Vault Blank Back File Copies - which older sets have surfaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Not really a fan of the modern set Topps Vault 1/1 Blank Back proofs that are issued - just seem like a money grab by Topps to me. I don't hate them, but they never held much interest for me.

But the other day I saw a 1992 Topps Kids Topps Vault 1/1 Blank Back proof on eBay, and that was of interest to me for my Grace PC. Older set file copies seem like a part of history to me, so I picked it up, and saw that others from the same set were available. It got me curious though, have other pre-2005 sets been issued as Blank Back proofs from Topps?

$_12.JPG
holo2.jpg

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I picked up the '92 Topps Kids for Butler a couple weeks ago.

My oldest full-color Topps Vault blank back is from '84 Traded. My only other Topps Vault blank back is from the '92 base set. Like most other 80s-90s player collectors I have lots of blank back/blank front that weren't issued from the Vault.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Years back, I bought a bunch of early-mid 70s proof blank back singles and 3 card panels. The oldest was 1972.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I've picked up two 1997 Mariano Rivera's: 1997 Bowman International and 1997 Topps Awesome Impact. And a 2000 Bowman base card that they called a "match print overlay" that looks exactly like other blank back proofs.

Scott F

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
So, do you guys know when Topps started to purposely print blank backs to issue as 1/1 cards?

I think at least for the main years I collect, 60's and 70's, the blank backs were mistakes that got out without the backs.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This would be my oldest Topps Vault proof card and the crown jewel. Only his RC would top this one. I also have a 3 card strip featuring Garvey from 75T, 76T and 80T.

It is interesting to note that this strip does not appear to be "certified" in any way by itself once the certificate gets separated from it and the certificate doesn't even list the players shown on the strip. Apparently Topps was a bit lazy at first. This is how it came from Topps (I have never pulled it from the top loader) and this was obviously before they started using the serial numbered holograms. The certificate is embossed with a seal of some sort, but the strip isn't.

It is blank backed for all 3 cards though, so i suppose there aren't too many that exist, but it says nothing about being a 1/1.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
That's a great piece.

I find it interesting that the Garvey is higher on the sheet than the surrounding cards - you'd think the cards would at least line up on a sheet. No wonder centered vintage cards are so tough to find.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I looked at my other strips and the certificate for those each list the three players shown, so it was just the 72 that didn't. I got them around the same general time frame.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
This would be my oldest Topps Vault proof card and the crown jewel. Only his RC would top this one. I also have a 3 card strip featuring Garvey from 75T, 76T and 80T.

I'd love to see scans of the other strips, especially the '75. I really like the look the '72 and the '75 Topps cards; so cool.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Why don't you like the Topps Vault items? Just curious...
Topps Vault IMO has very few actual unique items with the majority of the items being just BS. I bought a "proof" from them and it was basically a piece of printing paper with a scanned version of the card with a "blank back" - ummm part of me thought I could just photocopy this 1,000 times and sell them myself.

I have bought slide negatives and stuff like that which are pretty cool but part of me just doesn't like the entire idea really. I mean Stadium Club comes out one day and a day later Topps Vault is selling a 1/1 blank back on eBay?! Why not put that in a pack of cards? Why sell on eBay the day after the product is released? Isn't that the same as printing plates? Those seem like more of a vault type item give they are what was used in the creation of the cards.

Again, I'm probably alone or in small company with my view but I think it sucks.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Topps Vault IMO has very few actual unique items with the majority of the items being just BS. I bought a "proof" from them and it was basically a piece of printing paper with a scanned version of the card with a "blank back" - ummm part of me thought I could just photocopy this 1,000 times and sell them myself.

I have bought slide negatives and stuff like that which are pretty cool but part of me just doesn't like the entire idea really. I mean Stadium Club comes out one day and a day later Topps Vault is selling a 1/1 blank back on eBay?! Why not put that in a pack of cards? Why sell on eBay the day after the product is released? Isn't that the same as printing plates? Those seem like more of a vault type item give they are what was used in the creation of the cards.

Again, I'm probably alone or in small company with my view but I think it sucks.

Everyone has their opinion and was just curious as to why a mainly single player collector wouldn't like the vault items. I do get where you're coming from; I'm not a big fan of the modern 1/1's that come out as blank backs; I think they just make a print run of all the cards then try to gain more money by doing so. I personally rarely pick up any of the modern items anyway. I think the old school blank backs were more of the card got out without the backs being printed (mistakes on Topps part). Personally I like the transparencies, progression proofs, match prints, etc.

By the way, I did pick up one of those scanned copies on printed paper of a modern Brooks Robinson card, which was basically a copy of his '57 Topps card. I'm with you; I didn't like it.

Members online

Latest posts