Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would You Buy This Product? (Razor Related)

Is This a Product You Would Buy Packs Of?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
2009 Razor Signature Series [Revised] Proposal

I proposed this idea on the Razor forums a while ago and got some interesting critiques. I have tweaked the product a bit since, and now I feel it's ready to present here, on the baseball boards. Special thanks go out to Mike (200 lb Hockey Player) for the basic designs, as shown in the pics below. I certainly don’t expect all of these ideas to be utilized by Brian, Adam and the Razor staff but hopefully they’ll read this anyway.

The key premise for this product and its' design should be originality, which has been the most common critique of Brian's products thus far.

Now, as for the format.

Make the product appeal to two demographics equally - prospectors and set builders. No more "Happy Prospecting" on the backs, obviously.

I envision it as something like this:

2009 Razor Signature Series
- 12 boxes/case
- 24 packs/box
- 5 cards/pack
- One "Level 1 parallel" card/pack, containing either an Insert Autograph, Jersey or Patch subset card.
- 1:10 packs contains a "Level 2 parallel" card, consisting of a Gold parallel card of an Autograph, Jersey or Patch subset card.

$5/pack SRP

Base set (180 cards)

- Note: the backs would contain complete statistics and birth information. Perhaps they could contain a different photo than the front of the card, if it’s economically feasible.

- 150 card standard set [#s 1-150] (Last year, Brian introduced a 100 card base set, so I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that it be increased a bit. Set builders would have more of a challenge as well.)

- 20 card jersey subset [#s 151-170] (In deference to what the pics below display, this should be a continuation of the base set. Some of the better names should be found here. In addition, the shape would NOT be that of a star - rather, I believe it should be that of a numeral depicting the round the player was drafted in. For example, Strasburg would have a "1" shape.)

- 10 card patch subset [#s 171-180] This would utilize a diamond shaped design, and be found approximately one per every other box. (Strasburg and more of the 'better' names would be found here).

Parallels, Level 1 (1/pack)

- Note: Only 100 of the 180 cards found in the base set would be located here, as I would speculate that Brian would have a difficult time procuring more than this amount of autographs. In addition, if possible, I’d recommend different photos be used. Perhaps portraits?

- Insert on-card autograph (varied serialization between 250-750) [75 cards]. (There's a twist to this - unlike other products, produce the "lesser" names in lower quantities. This will balance things out a bit and give people more incentive to chase them.)
- Jersey subset on-card autograph (#d to 100) [20 cards]
- Patch subset on-card autograph (#d to 50) [5 cards]

- Note: unlike last year’s offering, I would strongly encourage Brian to include the same information on the backs of all parallel cards as the base cards would have, if possible. I personally feel as though it’s a cop-out to simply have a couple of sentences on the backs congratulating the customer for pulling a genuine autograph of said player and nothing else.

Parallels, Level 2 (1:10 packs)

- Autograph on-card Gold parallel (#d to 50) [75 cards]
- Autograph on-card Jersey subset Gold parallel (#d to 25) [20 cards]
- Autograph on-card Patch subset Gold parallel (#d to 10) [5 cards]

Here are Mike's pics, containing the basic designs of this product. I’ve never been a fan of bordered cards, personally.

razor_sig_09_strasburg.jpg
razor_sig_09_tate.jpg

As I am not a computer graphic design expert and don't know how to create or revise these on my own, I must once again point out that the jersey subset cards would be in the shape of a numeral, not a star.

So, let's hear your critiques and no sugarcoating, please. Oh, and don’t forget to vote.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
thefasterblade said:
You really want Razor to get exclusives on these guys?

I take it you don't?

Competition is good for everyone.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
If a player has a base card, jersey card and patch card I have a hard time with the consecutive numbering through all three "subsets". Technically, only the base would be the true "RC" or "Prospect Card"...I'd either make sure the players in the jersey/patch sets are different than the base, or number them seperately.

If nothing else, a new photo needs to be used on the base/jersey/patch variations if the consecutive numbering is kept.

Also, with 24 packs per box and each packing containing a Level 1 or Level 2 parallel, I feel there may need to be a larger jersey or patch set. OR make those jersey and patch cards very SP'ed.

$5 a pack would be amazing for this...but like I said the ratios of jersey/autographs would need to be clarified. If the jerseys were making up over half the hits, there needs to be more players included in that subset.

I like where this is going though...would metal cards be included? Box loaders perhaps? A bonus pack of 3-4 metal cards with a chance at a parallel? Just throwing stuff out there.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
thefasterblade said:

those two wouldn't make sense for razor. Strasberg wont be in the minors long, and already has high end stuff out. Tate, might make some sense because hes gonna stay down for a while. He has high end stuff from UD to compete with though.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
notoriousrmb said:
If a player has a base card, jersey card and patch card I have a hard time with the consecutive numbering through all three "subsets". Technically, only the base would be the true "RC" or "Prospect Card"...I'd either make sure the players in the jersey/patch sets are different than the base, or number them seperately.

Sorry for not clarifying - each player would have either a base, jersey or patch card. No dupes.

If nothing else, a new photo needs to be used on the base/jersey/patch variations if the consecutive numbering is kept.

I mentioned that above.

Also, with 24 packs per box and each packing containing a Level 1 or Level 2 parallel, I feel there may need to be a larger jersey or patch set. OR make those jersey and patch cards very SP'ed.

Possibly.

$5 a pack would be amazing for this...but like I said the ratios of jersey/autographs would need to be clarified. If the jerseys were making up over half the hits, there needs to be more players included in that subset.

I literally suck at math, so I kept the insert pack ratios vague intentionally.

I like where this is going though...would metal cards be included? Box loaders perhaps? A bonus pack of 3-4 metal cards with a chance at a parallel? Just throwing stuff out there.

No, I believe Metal should be its' own product.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
If their first set looked liked that I would have all the Astros.

I hope they do something. I haven't liked any of the Jason Castro cards yet.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
braves2008champs said:
Jaypers said:
thefasterblade said:

I take it you don't?

Competition is good for everyone.

making the UD, USA cards of SS higher priced / more desirable?

Strasburg wouldn't be a good example, as Chris mentioned above.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
I think a good idea for an insert would be a metal parallel like 1:2 packs, with one or two a box being colored metal. I know you want metal to be another product JP, but there has to be some kind of variety without being boring old change-in-foil stuff.

Metal Parallels:

Base Parallel/500 (1:2 packs)
Blue Metal Parallel/100 (1:12 packs)
Gold Parallel/25 (1:24 packs)
(fill in the blank) parallel/1 (1:case)

While you may not necessarily like the idea of the parallels being metal, I think some sort of inserted parallel system would more than likely have to be put in place to make the product slightly more interesting. It seems a little chrome-ish to a certain extent, but who cares, it'd still be sweet. Also making maybe the gold and 1/1 parallel in the jersey cards and obviously the autograph would be pretty cool IMO. Especially if somehow Razor could put MiLB logos in the jersey cards, a 1/1 patch variation would be even cooler.

Just my 2 cents, Hope it helps even in the slightest.

Anthony

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Doing a little math myself...with '08 Sig Series you got 10 autos for ~ $100 @ $10 a pack.

For this proposed product, 24 packs @ $5 per = $120.

So, for Razor to keep it around the same level, you would have to decrease the number of autos per box to say, 7 or 8. That leaves you with 16 or so packs with jerseys with 1 or 2 being a patch piece. So I would guess at the proposed price point, you would need around 40 or so players in the jersey subset.

Better option may be to decrease the number of packs per box to 16 and bump the price per pack to $6. This keeps it in line with '08 Sig Series (and people's expectations for this product). 8 autographs and 8 jerseys per box, with a couple Level 2 parallels. I just can't see Razor producing a 24 pack box with a hit per pack at that $5/pack price.

Metal as a stand-alone product sounds best, I'll agree with you there.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
notoriousrmb said:
Doing a little math myself...with '08 Sig Series you got 10 autos for ~ $100 @ $10 a pack.

So, for Razor to keep it around the same level, you would have to decrease the number of autos per box to say, 7 or 8. That leaves you with 16 or so packs with jerseys with 1 or 2 being a patch piece. So I would guess at the proposed price point, you would need around 40 or so players in the jersey subset.

Better option may be to decrease the number of packs per box to 16 and bump the price per pack to $6. This keeps it in line with '08 Sig Series (and people's expectations for this product). 8 autographs and 8 jerseys per box, with a couple Level 2 parallels. I just can't see Razor producing a 24 pack box with a hit per pack at that $5/pack price.

I like the idea of lessening the number of autos in a box if you're going to have that many packs...but maybe not to the level of equaling the number of jerseys with autos. Maybe 12 autos, 3 jsys, and 1 jersey auto?

Anthony

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
mike's mock up looks great but i doubt razor could ever pull off such a product. i appreciate the effort they put in and the open line of communication they have with collectors but to this point, i have been very disappointed. they have done nothing outside of the exclusive contracts. their products look rushed, they lack quality control and they have done nothing innovative in terms of design. i bought a handful of angels from signature series but after seeing them in hand, i will never buy another one of their cards.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
aminors said:
notoriousrmb said:

I like the idea of lessening the number of autos in a box if you're going to have that many packs...but maybe not to the level of equaling the number of jerseys with autos. Maybe 12 autos, 3 jsys, and 1 jersey auto?

Anthony

Ideally, yes I would agree. But you need to look at Razor's costs. I can't see them giving 13 autographed cards, plus jerseys at the same price point that they did with only 10 autos the year before. I would prefer that ratio as well, but the price per pack would have to be closer to $10 again.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
notoriousrmb said:
aminors said:
notoriousrmb said:

Anthony

Ideally, yes I would agree. But you need to look at Razor's costs. I can't see them giving 13 autographed cards, plus jerseys at the same price point that they did with only 10 autos the year before. I would prefer that ratio as well, but the price per pack would have to be closer to $10 again.

Yeah that does make more sense financially to them. What I don't get is this...if the product is more desirable than last year's product, why not buy it at the same price of 10 per pack?

Anthony

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
This is funny to me because I prefer Razor over Chrome simply because it isn't licensed. If any licensing is needed for Razor at all, MiLB licensing would be best.

Blue Hodges Reverend said:
If it was a liscensed MLB product probably a box or 2, but otherwise not likely.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Thanks again, Mike. He has just provided updated scans with the new jersey layout I mentioned in the first post.

razor_sig_09_strasburg.jpg
razor_sig_09_tate.jpg[/quote]

(Obviously it's highly unlikely Tate will make it into the 2nd round, but this is purely for display purposes.)

Members online

Latest posts