Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What if Topps & Panini Switched Places?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
The Parent Trap: Baseball Card Style

We have heard so, so, so many people say that they don't buy cards that don't show team logos. Over the past few weeks, I was wondering what if Topps and Panini had switched places. What would the cards look like if Topps couldn't use team logos, and Panini could?

Here are a few things I tried out with Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant and Mike Trout:

Lookin' good with logos!
Untitled-7.jpg

Would you buy these?
Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Nice artwork, but how do you feel w/out the halos logo?
Untitled-10.jpg

Man, this would be sweet!
Untitled-6.jpg

I wonder how much the superfractor would have gone for if it looked like this instead:
Untitled-3.jpg

Who knows, maybe not as much as this one?
Untitled-2.jpg

I don't really know what the verdict is for me. I think I really mainly care more about design than the lack of logos, but it is probably a case by case basis.

What are your thoughts?

psj

Jul 24, 2015
Long Island
The verdict is now paninis cards look way way way better to me, and topps i dont rly notice the lack of logos as much for some reason. But damn, panini needs an MLB license

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
The whole 'Panini sucks' because of the lack of logo's is a terrible argument. They're giving the monopoly a run for their money without the huge expense of the MLB license. The whole 'no logo's' debate is tired and old. It seems the 'no logo's' crowd pounces every chance they get on Panini. It's not Panini's fault they don't have the license. It's not for the lack of trying. I've never had a single person that has viewed my collection and say "Hey, wait a second! There's no Reds logo. I can't look at this. This stuff is garbage!". No one has ever noticed and I don't tell them either.

Hi, my name is Fordman and I buy Panini's MLBPA licensed cards.

Fordman

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I would not avoid buying a non-logo card same as I didn't avoid the unlicensed cards when they were popular, but the lack of logo on many of the cards reminds me of the airbrushed oddball/food issue/Broder days and they just look amateurish sometimes.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I would never buy anything other than Topps/Bowman. I never have and never will. If Topps/Bowman were ever unable to do MLB, as they have done for over half a century, I would leave the hobby.

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I buy Panini already anyways. Their cards are really fantastic in my opinion. I think they'll eventually get a license.

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
To me, it doesn't seem as easy as add a logo here and remove a logo there.

I don't have any clue on the numbers involved, but how much is a MLB exclusive vs MLBPA/retired players licenses? Seems that Panini price would go up and/or quality would go down. Would Panini try less with logos or would Topps try harder and blow us away (whether with no logos or just without an exclusive)?

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I don't know about anyone else, but national treasures with logos or diamond kings would blow anything topps does out of the water except dynasty and ginter.(Which I don't buy anyway)
Topps has always been my least favorite brand. I'd take score/pinnacle over them back in the day. I preferred 90% of UD or DLP products to anything topps puts out before the monopoly. I've bought more national treasures than any other brand the last 6 years.

Members online

Latest posts