Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Public Service Announcement on Toploaders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I'm looking into messing around with doing a youtube channel & perhaps a podcast. While trying some things out, I made this video. Please watch - it has very important information that America needs to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4RjjKCP9YE

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Honestly, I don't get the *****ing about tape on tape on toploaders. Spend the extra $0.06 and put it in a new toploader yourself.

I can't be the only person that puts all of my cards in fresh penny sleeves and toploaders, can I?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I see the point, but there are also those who recycle and there is nothing wrong with that approach either if it is done right. I don't see the point it taping up a brand new toploader to "secure" the card, especially with the kind of tape that doesn't come off easily. As Tanner said, get some team bags and use those. If anyone has ever received a card with a taped toploader that now has the inserted card stuck to it, you'll agree wholeheartedly. It is just laziness and cheapness on the part of the seller.

Now, the flip side to this argument is the recycled toploader. Yes, those scratched, yellowed, taped up toploaders do have a purpose in life still. They are the perfect mailer donors, especially if you are not advertising fresh ones with your listings. They can be used again and again and again until they splinter apart! I don't blame a guy for sending me a beater toploader, because I usually do use new ones myself unless they are close to new from the package.

Don't blame a guy for wanted to see less new toploaders destroyed though and if for no other reason than to keep our landfills from filling sooner rather than later!

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I agree with the tape. It doesn't bother me on a used top loader being used for shipping. Maybe use painters tape (the blue stuff) that comes off a little easier and most of the time doesn't leave sticky residue behind after removal.

With that said, I place all my PC stuff in one-touch magnetic holders. All my base PC stuff goes into 9 pocket sheets into binder. I don't penny sleeve/top loader my doubles. They go in to a PC box with just a penny sleeve and with a used top loader as a divider.

As for the podcast/video, the hobby needs decent podcast/video. We need a down to earth collector that makes an 'Average Joe's' podcast/video without trying to sell us something. An unbiased opinion on industry releases. A look back at products from years gone by. A look at hobby supplies. Maybe a quick peak (but not giving away the total process) at making a custom card.

Fordman

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
The solution to this is so unbelievably simple. Wrap the top loader with a piece of paper and tape the paper. Secures the card and does not even have a slight chance of damaging the card.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
The solution to this is so unbelievably simple. Wrap the top loader with a piece of paper and tape the paper. Secures the card and does not even have a slight chance of damaging the card.

This is what I do. Take a scrap paper and wrap the top loader like a tiny present

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Thanks guys! I may end up doing things like this and various other content as well as a podcast. For some reason, they deleted the thread on BO LOL!

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Deleted it? Do they feel that you'd be in competition with them?

Fordman

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

I don't know - it was really strange! I have a lot of friends and readers over there. I got several comments, and when I checked this morning, the thread was gone. Not a big deal, I guess but I'd have loved to have seen the rest of the comments.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Saw this on the Facebook collector group. Well said. I HATE tape. Frankly, I hate the stickers Topps uses on the redemptions also.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Thanks guys! I may end up doing things like this and various other content as well as a podcast. For some reason, they deleted the thread on BO LOL!

They are secret lobbyists for the scotch tape industry and you are trying to undermine them!

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I had a seller send me 7 PSA graded cards ALL TAPED TOGETHER. I had a back and forth conversation with the guy and it turned out he wasn't familiar with how to ship cards, particularly graded cards. I could do a podcast on that whole experience but it wouldn't be family-friendly.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I use tape and will always use tape. I even get buyers on eBay requesting that I tape the top loader.

"Note to seller
Place a piece of tape on opening of toploader. Thanks."

I honestly could care less about it as long as I get the card in the condition I am expecting.

I buy a ton in bulk from one guy on the east coast. Thousand dollar packages and they all come soft sleeved in 400 count boxes inside flat rate boxes. I've had collections of 1/1s sent the same way. Nothing was damaged either time and I was completely fine with it.

#firstworldproblems

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I'd subscribe to you on youtube for sure.

Team bags are OK but I've seen cards slip out a little in a bag and get damaged.

I want tape on every top loader. I can afford the 25 cents for a new top loader.

Scott F

Members online

Latest posts