Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on a potential Mantle autograph?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Recently got this from a step grandfather in-law who was getting rid of things. Someone mentioned I liked sports stuff and it was passed along to me. That being said, I wasn't told it was an authentic autograph. I assumed it was probably just a facsimile on a print at best. When I finally got it, I did some close inspecting. It does appear to be a marker writing on the print rather than just a printed facsimile. A google and ebay search doesn't turn up any others that I could find of this print with the exact same auto in the same location. I don't believe it was mass printed with the signature on it.

Then the question becomes, do you think the auto is authentic? Obviously there are tons of fake Mantles out there. Without proper certification, it's not going to bring much, but I'm not looking to sell it anyway. To my best judgement, I think it could be genuine or at least a good forgery if not. The worst fake Mantles all have Ms that stop at an abrupt point without any flow. Not that all real mantles need loops on the Ms, but that abrupt point is usually a give away of a forgery to me. The other thing I look at is the Y. The fakes I've noticed have very straight lines in the Y, forming points and a straight line triangle. Real Mantles seem to have a little bend and character to the flow in that part of the signature.

I'm sure there are better experts than I, so I'm looking for opinions. Real or not? What do you guys think?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you Google: Ray Gallo Mickey Mantle and click on images, there are dozens of that same picture autographed, and they're all different, as you wrote, so it's certainly not a printed signature. It does look authentic, and I have three Mantle autographs.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
That looks good to me. I am not exactly an expert, but I do have several Mantles that I got IP and can spot most fakes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts