Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just Photo-Matched a Gu card to a specific game!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Before you keep reading, I'll warn you that this is a soccer card!

Here is the card in question-just got it in today!
attachment.php
This is Jan Vertonghen, the center back for Belgium but also my favorite soccer (football) team, Tottenham Hotspur. The Spurs play in the English Premier League and are from North London. They've been a team since the 1880's and play in a stadium called White Hart Lane- built in the late 1880's and is scheduled to be closed next year! Pretty incredible!.

Anyway, Spurs are also know as the Lillywhites, referring to the white shirts they wear when they are playing at home. Most teams in european football are different than what we are used to here in that teams will almost always wear their home colors even if away. This is obviously not done when the other team has similar colors. For instance- Chelsea wear blue. When they are away at Everton, who also wear blue, they must wear their away colors (black) But when Chelsea play away at Liverpool, who wear red, Chelsea will wear their blue home colors. Got it? :lol: Good.

So each country has a domestic league and the top teams in each domestic league also get to play in either The Champions League or The Europa League. This card is of Jan Vertongen but when I saw the card I noticed two things about it. First and most importantly it contained a piece of Tottenham Hotpsurs famous badge that is worn on every players chest- A ****eral balancing on a football:
attachment.php
Another thing that I noticed was the piece of the other patch- in soccer the player will always wear a patch on the sleeve depending on the the competition- all players will wear the same if they are in the World Cup, English League, German League, MLS ect ect- Here are a few sleeve patches of various leagues:

attachment.php
Here you can see patches from German Bundesliga, the Spanish La Liga, The Champions League, The Uefa Supercup, the Italian Serie A and world cup patches.

So this card contains patches of the team logo and as you can see a pice of the Europa League. I then realized I would be able to decide the very game this jersey was worn as the background of the jersey is obviously yellow. Well like I said earlier- Spurs play in all white and besides Real Madrid it's very rare to find a team that wears all white. Spurs third kit, or the second alternate is the yellow kit. Having the Europa league patch singles the possibility down to only a few games as this third kit was from the 2014-15 season- 6 group stage matches- and then two knockout games- simply googling showed the Spurs wore their white and then a game in the away colors. Finally I found the one and only time Tottenham wore the alternate yellow in a europa league game:

europa-league-small.jpg
FK Partizan Stadium, Belgrade

Partizan Belgrade of the Serbian SuperLiga, otherwise known as FK Partizan finished second in their domestic league, giving them a birth in the following years Europa League. On Spetember 18th, 2014 they hosted the first group stage match against Tottenham. The game ended as a 0-0 draw.

Jan Vertongen played all 90 minutes at center back. Here he is during the match:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Overall pretty cool! Without a doubt that's where the patches are from.

I have a few other cards from the set- one with some trim and then the E from his name

attachment.php

COYS!

Attachments

• Scan 56.jpeg
    Scan 56.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 103
  • spurs badge.jpg
    spurs badge.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 101
  • league patches.jpg
    league patches.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Jan Belgrade.jpg
    Jan Belgrade.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 97
  • jan belgrade2.jpg
    jan belgrade2.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Scan 57.jpeg
    Scan 57.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 100

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
i'm amazed someone on this side of the pond knows about european soccer. Footy is all greek to me if it's not EPL or world cup. I always thought Bundesliga meant "inferior" as it is shown in the middle of the night on my RSN and figured all the quality soccer leagues probably show up on univision, telefutura, or on the major national sports cable channels.

btw, tell the soccer players to be men and not clap their hands above their heads. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts