Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name players better than David Wright?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
hofautos said:
Which current MLB players after 2001 are better than David Wright?

By 'after 2001' do you mean started their MLB career after 2001?

Yes, I mean don't say pujols (lol)...
Which players that will play MLB 2009 do you think are better than David Wright who's rookie season started 2002 or later?

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
I don't think there are many better than Wright RIGHT NOW. He is probably in the top 10 position players. That being said, he hasn't done it long enough to prove he is going to last as an elite player for many years to come.

I just looked at his stats and he has 4 good seasons under his belt. The only thing that sticks out though is consistency. Career high of 33 HR at a corner position is not that great and he strikes out an awful lot. But he also walks a lot and has consistently hit over .300.

Let him do it another 4 years before we start putting him up there with the best of the best.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
You also have to remember that someone who puts up stats a notch below Wright's but that plays a more premium position (pretty much all of them except LF and 1B) is probably more valuable.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Hanley is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. He plays a more complete all around game IMO because he adds the element of speed.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
trevordchi said:
I don't think there are many better than Wright RIGHT NOW. He is probably in the top 10 position players. That being said, he hasn't done it long enough to prove he is going to last as an elite player for many years to come.

I just looked at his stats and he has 4 good seasons under his belt. The only thing that sticks out though is consistency. Career high of 33 HR at a corner position is not that great and he strikes out an awful lot. But he also walks a lot and has consistently hit over .300.

Let him do it another 4 years before we start putting him up there with the best of the best.

Don't forget Wright's glove though. He has won back to back Gold Gloves.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
IMO there is no one in baseball better than Wright who came to the Majors after 2001. Hanley is dynamic, and might prove to be better, but Wright has shown incredible consistency and all-around ability. Sporting News in their Fantasy Baseball 2009 has a nice article on Wright. (As they explain) because no single stat stands out by itself, people don't realize how good he is. That said, he's the only player in baseball to hit .300 with 25 homers, 100 RBI, 95 runs and 15 SB's every year for the last 3 seasons (arbitrary stats) but combined make a tremendous and tremendously consistent ball player.

Wright's defense is also solid, (though I think the consensus amongst those "in the know" is that the gold gloves are not really warranted.)

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Wright's defense is also solid, (though I think the consensus amongst those "in the know" is that the gold gloves are not really warranted.)

Most gold gloves are won with the bat.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
After looking at baseballreference.com for a few minutes I stumbled upon their list of who the player compares to at age 25. I think it's only fair to include Miguel Cabrera in this discussion

David Wright:
1. Eric Chavez (922)
2. Dick Allen (910)
3. Harlond Clift (908)
4. Del Ennis (898)
5. Bob Horner (898)
6. Scott Rolen (897)
7. Jim Rice (887) *
8. Ron Santo (884)
9. Cal Ripken (880) *
10. Grady Sizemore (877)

Hanley Ramirez:
1. Nomar Garciaparra (921)
2. Brian McCann (921)
3. Robinson Cano (916)
4. Derek Jeter (914)
5. David Wright (911)
6. Tony Lazzeri (905) *
7. Dick Allen (902)
8. Vern Stephens (902)
9. Joe Torre (897)
10. Joe Mauer (894)

Miguel Cabrera
1. Ken Griffey (957)
2. Hank Aaron (931) *
3. Orlando Cepeda (927) *
4. Frank Robinson (920) *
5. Hal Trosky (901)
6. Mickey Mantle (891) *
7. Andruw Jones (888)
8. Al Kaline (887) *
9. Ruben Sierra (879)
10. Albert Pujols (875)

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
rookieaddict said:
After looking at baseballreference.com for a few minutes I stumbled upon their list of who the player compares to at age 25. I think it's only fair to include Miguel Cabrera in this discussion.
I overlooked Miggy because his RC card is in 2000 (I was thinking of years based on RC card, and I knew Miggy came to majors before Wright.) Miggy is a butcher on defense, but his bat is "all-time" great.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
I think Sizemore and Cabrera are better players, but I'm not so sure about Ramirez.

Just looked at the same "By age 25" data on Sizemore, he's ridiculously close to Bonds numbers. So in Grady will we see what a steroids free Bonds could have done?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
I think Sizemore and Cabrera are better players, but I'm not so sure about Ramirez.
Sizemore is one of my favorite players in baseball, (and I believe that he should start seeing increases in his BA based on his increased power and plate discipline, but what makes him better than Wright? Wright has a higher career BA (by a long shot) more homers, doubles. Each were members of the 30/30 club once.

I do believe that Sizemore will offer more in the power/speed areas going forward, but to this point his stats are not as good as Wright's.

Wright: .309/.389/.533
Sizemore .279/.370/.491

rookieaddict-While Sizemore's stats are very similar to Bonds to this point, it was around now that Bonds took his career to an entirely different level. It remains to be seen if Sizemore can do that, but can't be expected (though he's a great player as is.)

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Topnotchsy said:
sportscardtheory said:
Sizemore is one of my favorite players in baseball, (and I believe that he should start seeing increases in his BA based on his increased power and plate discipline, but what makes him better than Wright? Wright has a higher career BA (by a long shot) more homers, doubles. Each were members of the 30/30 club once.

I do believe that Sizemore will offer more in the power/speed areas going forward, but to this point his stats are not as good as Wright's.

Wright: .309/.389/.533
Sizemore .279/.370/.491

rookieaddict-While Sizemore's stats are very similar to Bonds to this point, it was around now that Bonds took his career to an entirely different level. It remains to be seen if Sizemore can do that, but can't be expected (though he's a great player as is.)

It's all about where you hit in the lineup. If Sizemore hit in the middle of the lineup like Wright surrounded by the best hitters on the team, I would suspect you would see DRASTIC increases in his average, homerun and run production. He has always hit lead-off for a a team with no one great around him in the lineup.

Members online

Latest posts