Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Shows are dead for me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry, just have to vent about this.

I love card shows. Always have, since I went to my first in 1981 at the Geoerge Washington Motor Lodge on Rt 309 in suburban PHL, which I think later became the hallowed 'Ft. Washington Show.' The idea of finding something new and unexpected, which could happen on any table any time, is very exciting to my hobby brain. But I live in Austin, TX now, which has been a frustrating experience as a baseball card and comic collector for years. The number of shops has shrunk down to about 5 or 6 for comics (and only 2 really worthy of the name), and 2 card shops, both of which I have problems with. But there was always a show. From before I moved here in 1992 till about mid-2007, there was a monthly show, regular as clockwork, and it had about a dozen regional dealers who would show up, mainly weekend-warrior types but they could be counted on to have acquired something worth looking at. I rarely had trouble spending all my money at these shows.

I noticed things changing around 2005. Attendance was way down. In 1993 they'd have lines of dozens of people waiting to get in, but by the end I doubt 50 people would come in during the whole day. Fewer dealers were showing up, and with lower quality, and much less rotation in their stock. Shows started happening every 2 months, then three. The show promoter had been saying for a long time that hotels were jacking up their prices on rooms and tables, especially if a new owner took over the place. Finally, the last show in Austin happened last April. Also, a large, thriving show for all kinds of collectors (cards, comics, games, postcards, tobacciana, breweriana, movies, posters, etc., really fun show) stopped happening around 2006. Since then, there has been nothing at all, till today.

A longtime regional promoter put on a show today, barely. I'd been looking forward to it for over a month when I saw it listed on the Beckett calendar. I was really hoping it would be a resurgence for the hobby, or at least a nice day out where I'd pick up some cool stuff. I mean, the only shows of any interest in the whole area were the twice-yearly San Antonio shows, which have diminished greatly themselves. There had to be pent-up demand, pent-up dealer inventory, and that pent-up energy of sports fans waiting to buy stuff to align themselves with their heroes. All that crap.

Well I got up excited today and got to the show promptly at the 10 AM opening. It wasn't what I hoped for but rather what I feared. Walking by the doorway trying to find the great hobby extravaganza, I noticed a sad, quiet space with empty 6-footers. One table had some mini helmets. Another had singles splayed out in little baskets. Another had some photos. Another had some McFarlanes. And that was it. There was one collector inside, a guy whose modus collecti is to go through dime boxes with a Beckett in hand and buy anything that books for more than a quarter. I couldn't even bring myself to pay the $2 admission fee to spend what I'm sure would've been 30 seconds of despair perusing the goods and quickly deciding there was nothing for me. I actually felt bad about it, because dealers need traffic to support them, and promoters need dealers to support them, and without promoters there are no shows. I left at about 10:02.

I'm sure the promoter took a hit on the event. That room and setup probably cost $800 or more, and he probably made at most $200 in table fees. Who knows how much in admissions, maybe just $2. I know the economy's down, but Austin's been largely unscathed so far. I know ebay and the net have crushed the idea of using Beckett as a price guide and so devalued dealers' inventory. And I know cost of product is up while demand is down. But Jeez, that show was so sad. It was likely the last one in Austin.

The next big San Antonio show should be happening in May, but there's nothing on Beckett yet. The last one in November saw me buy about 10 cards, the quality of material was so bad and boring and familiar. There's a big show at the Arlington Convention Center at the end of May that I may make the 3-hour drive for, but I'm dubious. I haven't been to that one in years, and the DFW area wasn't even that great a place for cards in the late-90s. That show depended on guys like 707 and Roger Neufeldt and other vintage dealers making the trip, plus a seemingly endless number of guys who had connections with Donruss down the road with displays packed full of rare Donruss inserts.

I know there are thriving shows somewhere. People regularly post their show finds and I'm insanely jealous. While I use ebay as much as anyone, and I'm part of the problem in that way, it also makes me sad that that might be my only connection now. I hope not, but if today was any evidence, I may have attended the last card show in this town.

:(

jacobbocce72

Aug 7, 2008
Austin, TX
i currently live in college station, tx... and i can tell you that the whole texas card show market is pretty disappointing when compared with other states. I go to the yearly college station show which is in pretty close comparison to the show you just described (except maybe a few more dealers).

Houston has a few decent shows, but outside of that the card show market is pretty bad in the lone star state

-Jacob

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Have you guys ever thought of setting up?

That's the big problem with shows.

I promote a small show in SE Iowa and that's the thing I fight EVERY time I do a show.

Everybody wants to find good deals, but in order find good deals, you have to have dealers there with stuff.

I try to set up at a weekend show once amonth and go to a show to buy stuff once a month. That is about all the wife can allow :^)

Maybe you should talk to the promoter and give him some ideas to drum up some dealers, which will make the show better.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
jacobbocce72 said:
i currently live in college station, tx... and i can tell you that the whole texas card show market is pretty disappointing when compared with other states. I go to the yearly college station show which is in pretty close comparison to the show you just described (except maybe a few more dealers).

Houston has a few decent shows, but outside of that the card show market is pretty bad in the lone star state

-Jacob
I know, I live in Dallas and the closest show is 75 miles away...Texas is really down...

abe1

Dec 29, 2008
Another Austin guy here...I too went by the show today- and I too left before walking in...I went around 2pm and by the looks of it, just 3 tables remained (I didn't see anybody selling wax, but it was a quick peak through the door)...absolutely pathetic and really dissapointing...to the OP- I'd like to hear your thoughts on the two local stores...I find them dissapointing too, but nearly so much as the show today...

dreamerfan

Aug 10, 2008
Rochester,Mi
I have not seen a good show in Michigan in the last five years that was even worth the price to get in the door. Gibraltar is a dead show and after that there is nothing to speak off. So I feel your pain.

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
I also live in Austin. I was more pissed that this was promoted as a show. SO we just went to the shop. I like the card shop here. His prices are not on par with the internet but he's always friendly and easy to talk to. I always enjoy going there.

I was thinking of trying to see if the guy who promotes these things would let a bunch of us set up at the shows and try to create our own scene.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Any of you Texas guys been to the Arlington CC show in the last couple years? I haven't been to that one in about 4 years, so I'm dubious about it. Of course, it only takes one good find to make it worthwhile, IMHO, but driving 3 hours (and 200 miles, that's about $32 for gas roundtrip, plus parking) for possibly nothing is unappetizing. If it's fallen off like the SA show has, I will probably skip it again.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Ryo1549 said:
I also live in Austin. I was more pissed that this was promoted as a show. SO we just went to the shop. I like the card shop here. His prices are not on par with the internet but he's always friendly and easy to talk to. I always enjoy going there.

I was thinking of trying to see if the guy who promotes these things would let a bunch of us set up at the shows and try to create our own scene.

What shop are you talking about?

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We haven't had a card show in Hawaii in years. :(
But Oahu has a few good card shops.
I miss the giant 100-300+ table shows in Dallas during the '80s and early '90s.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
Austin said:
We haven't had a card show in Hawaii in years. :(
But Oahu has a few good card shops.
I miss the giant 100-300+ table shows in Dallas during the '80s and early '90s.
Man I wish those were still here.....

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
smapdi said:
Ryo1549 said:

ASC

sffanmike25

Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
smapdi said:
Any of you Texas guys been to the Arlington CC show in the last couple years? I haven't been to that one in about 4 years, so I'm dubious about it. Of course, it only takes one good find to make it worthwhile, IMHO, but driving 3 hours (and 200 miles, that's about $32 for gas roundtrip, plus parking) for possibly nothing is unappetizing. If it's fallen off like the SA show has, I will probably skip it again.

Was at the Arlington shows the last 2 years. I'd rate them as average. Probably a step down from a long while back, but still a decent selection across the board. Last year's had some Rangers prospects signing (Matt Harrison, Elvis Andrus) and had a pretty good number of tables there on the Saturday I went. I mainly look for certain modern football and baseball, and was able to find some stuff worth purchasing. Worth the drive from where you are at? Unsure on that. Maybe if you are looking to catch a ballgame as well the same day you attend it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Ryo1549 said:
smapdi said:
Ryo1549 said:

ASC

It's not the promoters fault, not really. JMV has alienated more than a few people over the years, it's true. I have no idea what he charged for tables or what was done to entice dealers, but if they don't come, there's nothing really to do. I mean, they could have cancelled it altogether, which would've been better for everyone concerned. I'm sure you could set up at shows, provided you pay the table fee.

BTW, if you google Austin Sports Connection, you'll find differing experiences. Pretty amusing.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
The Live Oak show kinda sucks but you can still find some good stuff if your a bargain bin picker like me.But as far as no-bargain bin style stuff it blows.And the prices are way too high.I didn't even know they had one in Austin.Whats weird though is the comic show in Live Oak was always pretty darn good with a mix and match of cool stuff for low prices.I actually loved going to that show for several years.I used to go with a friend and help him set up for the show and then go browse around.I got in early and was able to make a lot of good deals before the shows even started so it was pretty good.

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
smapdi said:
Ryo1549 said:
smapdi said:
Ryo1549 said:

ASC

It's not the promoters fault, not really. JMV has alienated more than a few people over the years, it's true. I have no idea what he charged for tables or what was done to entice dealers, but if they don't come, there's nothing really to do. I mean, they could have cancelled it altogether, which would've been better for everyone concerned. I'm sure you could set up at shows, provided you pay the table fee.

BTW, if you google Austin Sports Connection, you'll find differing experiences. Pretty amusing.

Yeah I base my personal experiences on what someone says on google. Thats a good thing to live by. I have never had anything like that with them. Those people who rated him are *********. Especially the pack searcher.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ryo1549 said:
smapdi said:
Ryo1549 said:
smapdi said:
Ryo1549 said:

ASC

Yeah I base my personal experiences on what someone says on google. Thats a good thing to live by. I have never had anything like that with them. Those people who rated him are *********. Especially the pack searcher.

I wonder if its any relation to Houston Sports Connection?In any case it seems like every review is bad.Though it does seem only someone with a nit to pick would bother posting something anyway I suppose.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I went to the local show a few weeks ago, and it was pathetic. Well, actually it wasn't too bad, as there are a lot of football guys there, but as far as prospects...we are talking guys asking $80 for Justin Verlander Topps Chrome RC Autos, $60 for Billingsley Chrome Autos. I bring some of my prospects just in case someone has some stuff and wants to deal, but these people don't even know who my guys are. Alot of people go by BV there, so every now and then I get something halfway decent.

Members online

Latest posts