Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do Razor Metal Cards Have Protective Film?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I honestly can't tell. I've inspected the sides of the cards closely using my loupe, and can't honestly see a way to "peel" them (if in fact they do exist) without damaging the cards. They could very well exist, but if so, they must be incredibly thin.

I've tried using my thumb on the corners in an attempt to peel it, without success.

Can anyone confirm they in fact do exist? If so, how does one peel it?

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
All 5 of my Gordon Beckham Blues did have the film. I started a thread about it when the were received. I peeled the best two and submitted them for grading. The other 3 were too O/C so I left the film on. You can easily tell if the film is on them. They are very "cloudy" looking. They peel off very easily as well.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Great Dealz Rob said:
All 5 of my Gordon Beckham Blues did have the film. I started a thread about it when the were received. I peeled the best two and submitted them for grading. The other 3 were too O/C so I left the film on. You can easily tell if the film is on them. They are very "cloudy" looking. They peel off very easily as well.

Guess I don't own any, then. I own several Blues as well.

Wonder what percentage of the print run has them.

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
Jaypers said:
Great Dealz Rob said:

Out of the 50 or so Blues that I bought they are the only ones that have the film. I haven't heard anyone else say that they have them as well.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Jaypers said:
Great Dealz Rob said:

Why would the film be left on some but not others?

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
mredsox89 said:
Jaypers said:
Great Dealz Rob said:

Why would the film be left on some but not others?

I was happy because the Beckhams surface were excellent because of obvious reasons. Just which a few others had them. Maybe just a QC thing? They forgot to remove them?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
How about the base Metals? Any word on those?

Once again, I see no evidence of film on any of mine.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Who said that they have a film JP?

The day before I left for vacation I posted my Razor Metal base mailday. Over half of my cards had terrible surfaces. So I contacted Brian and he said that it appeared that I hadn't removed the protective film. But I see nothing to peel.

Allen

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Jaypers said:

They weren't on mine. I sent my four base metals with the FCB group sub just as an experiment to see how BGS is grading them. Im hoping the next BGS deal is a decent one so I can send the blues in

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
Jaypers said:

None of the Base Metals had the coating. Just the Beckham Blues I bought. Hmmmmmm

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
This is bizarre.

So only a small percentage of these cards have a protective film? And this was unannounced to anyone that purchased them?

At least they are consistently inconsistent.

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
Jaypers said:

Hey Jaypers! I was going back through my base metal cards and I mis-spoke. I actually have a Wieters that had the film on it. I am currently going through all my base and re-checking them.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Great Dealz Rob said:
Jaypers said:

Hey Jaypers! I was going back through my base metal cards and I mis-spoke. I actually have a Wieters that had the film on it. I am currently going through all my base and re-checking them.

Weird stuff.

I wonder if those with the film on might garner any sort of premium.

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
Jaypers said:
Great Dealz Rob said:
Jaypers said:

Weird stuff.

I would think if it keeps the surface clean enough to grade out as a Gem without the film the value would be there?

jdfoxtrot79

Jan 2, 2009
Washington
Jaypers said:
Great Dealz Rob said:
Jaypers said:

Weird stuff.

I dont think they would....i think the only way they would get a premium is if the seller said there was a film on it, he pulled it off, and then in the scan you saw that the surface was flawless

Members online

Latest posts