Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about a '99 Bowman Chrome Intl Ref.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and JUSTICE for all

Aug 27, 2008
Newnan, Ga
I'm just wondering if it is legit... like if this is a known error. I could be wrong, but I thought the golds were /25 and had the players name in gold. Also, I think maybe it said "gold refractor" on the back (not really sure about this one)? I remember a gold popped up last season but he was really hot then so I didn't bite.

Also, it's a shame at Haren's prices. PSA 10 Gold Ref sold for $33. This guy really gets no love. I'd say he is easily the most underrated player in MLB (and has been). If only he were pitching in a big market for a team that actually produced runs so he would get the wins he deserves. If you don't believe me, check the number of quality starts he has put up.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
and JUSTICE for all said:
I'm just wondering if it is legit... like if this is a known error. I could be wrong, but I thought the golds were /25 and had the players name in gold. Also, I think maybe it said "gold refractor" on the back (not really sure about this one)? I remember a gold popped up last season but he was really hot then so I didn't bite.

Also, it's a shame at Haren's prices. PSA 10 Gold Ref sold for $33. This guy really gets no love. I'd say he is easily the most underrated player in MLB (and has been). If only he were pitching in a big market for a team that actually produced runs so he would get the wins he deserves. If you don't believe me, check the number of quality starts he has put up.
It is sad, I guess they want guys that are younger and have just as much success like billingsley?

If the Giants could land Dan Haren somehow...ooh that'd be sweet haha

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
and JUSTICE for all said:

I'm very familiar with the 99 Bowman Chrome set and I have definitely never seen that type of an "error" card. With that being said, you can see that it says Gold Refractor on the back in fine print which I believe was always the case with the Gold Refractor's in 99, while definitely having the front side of the International Refractor. The Gold's absolutely had the player's signature in Gold on the front of the card, but that's a moot point with this item. Very unique indeed or one helluva forgery.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
well the 12/25 looks crooked, so i am really leery of this.
could some ref have been back doored and then hand punched?

also, it only says refractor, unless the gold is somewhere else.

and JUSTICE for all

Aug 27, 2008
Newnan, Ga
boomo said:
well the 12/25 looks crooked, so i am really leery of this.
could some ref have been back doored and then hand punched?

also, it only says refractor, unless the gold is somewhere else.
Okay, I am glad someone else noticed this. I thought it looked crooked too, but I thought maybe I was a little biased because right off the bat I was skeptical that this card was real. Thanks for the input everyone.

A_Pharis

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that the numbering does not look crooked to me (beyond normal means). If it is, it's only ever so slightly. Also, the name on the front SHOULD be gold, but you can never tell how light is going to bounce with a scanner. It could be just a bad scan for the coloring.

I am not validating the card whatsoever.. I'm just saying "COULD"

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
My vote is for "Erroneous Replacement Card" by which I mean... somebody pulled a damaged Gold Ref and sent it in for replacement, and they accidentally gave them the Int'l Ref but #'d it 12/25.

I have never really heard of backdoored Bowman cards, so that doesn't make sense to me.

Members online

Latest posts