Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Red Sox Disc. - Picthing Depth, and the search for a big bat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Interesting article in the Globe this morning. Sox scouts have been following Nick Johnson, along with a few other bats. With MDC, Okajima, Bard, Masterson, Ramirez, and Papelbon in the 'pen, there has been speculation that MDC could offer some huge value to an NL team looking for a closer, as he is still cost controlled. This next week for Ortiz after being benched for 3 days to clear his mind will be huge. Either he comes back, or the Sox need to start searching for that big bat.

On a second note, with Penny struggling, how long before Buchholz or Bowden get promoted? The Sox also have Smoltz waiting in the wings, and there is no reason in my opinion that Penny doesn't offer some value to SOME team, (See Paul Byrd). Is there any way the Sox dump him after June 15, and go with Buuchholz or Bowden?

On the topic of Bowden, what will it take for him to get some hobby love? 8 IP, 0 R, 0 ER, 4 H today, bringing the season totals to 2-1, 42 IP, 19 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 16 BB, 28 K, 0.86 ERA, .136 BAA, 0.83 WHIP, 158 Total Batters Faced, 6 XBH, 0 HR. For you sabermetrical guys, 41% GB, 28% FB, 14 % LD, 17% PU. xERA - 0.47

Bowden has developed a new slider, and over his last start before today, threw the slider 275% more than the frequency with which he usually throws it. He is confident with what he has, and is down in AAA developing a new pitch. He had a taste of coffee last year, and a sip of it this year. With Daisuke back for his next start, and Masterson heading to the pen, what does Bowden have to do to get to the show? The old adage is you can never have enough pitching depth. This rings true for the Sox today.

On the hobby side, Bowden prices, relative to Buchholz prices in 06-07 are significantly lower (See the link on the left for some current Bowden pricing). They have the same cards, 05 BCDP, and 05 BS, but Buchholz seemingly had more hype.

So Sox fans, who gets dealt, if anyone? Will the Sox pick up a bat? Will they go with Carter/Bailey/Ortiz? Something I didn't touch on, is Varitek doing just enough to justify the second year, or do we go after Texas' big three, or Montero, or do we look inside at Wagner/Expo?

Discuss...

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Bowden is still very young. Him and Clay will get there time with in the next year I think. It's a lot better to take time getting them up than rush them and kill confidence as was the case with Clay. They are great kids to meet in person, and they are both very confident now that they will be successful. They aren't cocky, but believe in themselves, and that is a very important trait.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
A perfect example of why an extra offseason move can kill or save you. I screamed all offseason to sign Adam Dunn for cheap money (which he would have accepted), because one injury or slump would kill this lineup. Sure, on paper, everything was fine; Ortiz, Bay, Lowell, Drew and Youk would combine for enough HRs. But it turns out Ortiz sucks, Youk is hurt and Lowell likely will not make it through the whole season without having to miss a little time. Dunn strikes out a ton, but that extra 30+ HRs would have made Ortiz's struggles almost a non-issue.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Buccholz has that no-hitter under his belt which gives him more credibility than Bowden. Bowden's time will come next year IMO. There's enough depth in the current rotation so unless someone goes down and they keep Masterson in the pen, we won't be seeing Mr. #2 Red Sox Prospect.

Allen

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:
Bowden is still very young. Him and Clay will get there time with in the next year I think. It's a lot better to take time getting them up than rush them and kill confidence as was the case with Clay. They are great kids to meet in person, and they are both very confident now that they will be successful. They aren't cocky, but believe in themselves, and that is a very important trait.

I, too, have met Bowden at the Young Stars for New Stars luncheon hosted by the Jimmy Fund, and can say that as well. I love the heir of confidence. If you say in time next year, who are you counting out? Daisuke, Beckett, Lester are all under contract, and Wakefield has the life-term contract. It's nice to have a 1a, and 1b, but I think the 5th slot has to go to Buchholz, again leaving Bowden waiting for Wakefield to retire.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
baseballguy350 said:
beefycheddar said:

I, too, have met Bowden at the Young Stars for New Stars luncheon hosted by the Jimmy Fund, and can say that as well. I love the heir of confidence. If you say in time next year, who are you counting out? Daisuke, Beckett, Lester are all under contract, and Wakefield has the life-term contract. It's nice to have a 1a, and 1b, but I think the 5th slot has to go to Buchholz, again leaving Bowden waiting for Wakefield to retire.

I met Bowden at the same place, I think Wakefield retires soon, or someone has an injury that will put them out for a while to get him up. He is still 22 until September. If he had gone to college he would just be in his first, maybe second year in the minors. He has a long career ahead of him still.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I'm not so concerned with the pitching I'm more concerned with problems at short. Nick green did his best Lugo impersonation and had two errors today. The second of which cost them the game. I mean why is it so hard for this organization to find a decent shortstop? Lowrie is ok but I hardly think he's the answer. Lugo was a terrible signing from the beginning, just like Renteria. It seems to go on and on, wtf?

caseumsd6

Aug 13, 2008
rebelpawn said:
I'm not so concerned with the pitching I'm more concerned with problems at short. Nick green did his best Lugo impersonation and had two errors today. The second of which cost them the game. I mean why is it so hard for this organization to find a decent shortstop? Lowrie is ok but I hardly think he's the answer. Lugo was a terrible signing from the beginning, just like Renteria. It seems to go on and on, wtf?

They had a "decent" shortstop in Hanley, but decided a World Series win was more important...... stupid Sox. :p

mr148927

Aug 8, 2008
boston
Well, I think Penny will eventually get traded. he makes short money, and if he can keep it going someone somewhere, will be able to use him. As for Papi, he just me be done? no way the guy is hurt. I have a funny feeling , he is hiding an injury, however small, or big it may be. As for shortstop, I am sticking with the notion we should never ever, have gotten rid of Cabrera. However I am gonna staying with Lowrie.... I like the way he plays, and I think with more playign time, he will be fine. Just my opine.... :D On a better note, Mets come into Fenway this weekend. I will be there Saturday night !!!!!!

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
mr148927 said:
Well, I think Penny will eventually get traded. he makes short money, and if he can keep it going someone somewhere, will be able to use him. As for Papi, he just me be done? no way the guy is hurt. I have a funny feeling , he is hiding an injury, however small, or big it may be. As for shortstop, I am sticking with the notion we should never ever, have gotten rid of Cabrera. However I am gonna staying with Lowrie.... I like the way he plays, and I think with more playign time, he will be fine. Just my opine.... :D On a better note, Mets come into Fenway this weekend. I will be there Saturday night !!!!!!

It's tough to get playing time with a season long injury though.

mr148927

Aug 8, 2008
boston
baseballguy350 said:
mr148927 said:

It is a 4-6 week injury. He will be back before the all star break, or just after. He will be rusty of course. Oh, and I hate Lugo .

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
mr148927 said:
baseballguy350 said:
mr148927 said:

It is a 4-6 week injury. He will be back before the all star break, or just after. He will be rusty of course. Oh, and I hate Lugo .

As do I. I hope you are right, because last I heard there were internal discussion about moving him to the 60 day, which is a kiss of death.

bigpops65

Feb 9, 2009
Providence, RI
Sorry I am a little late to the party .....

Here are a few observations:

1) I heard an interesting rumor from a friend of mine who is a HUGE Brewers fan. The deal framework was Brad Penny and Julio Lugo to the Brewers for JJ Hardy (the Sox would also pay a sizeable amount of Lugo's contract). Hardy is a free agent at the end of the season, so he would be a SS rental for the rest of the year, and provides insurance in case Lowire is not ready to come back (in which case they sign Hardy to a deal). I like this move because I hate Lugo, but Penny is a NL pitcher, and this opens a spot for Bowden/Buchholz.

2) I am not counting on much from Smoltz.

3) Ken Rosetnhal from Fox Sports had an interesting blog item today where he said the Sox are looking/tracking Victor Martinez of the Indians and might be interested in a deal for V-Mart (the leading hitter in the AL). The cornerstone of the deal would be Buchholz, with either Bard or Lars Anderson thrown in. V-Mart is under contract for the next two years at like $6 and $8 million per. Might be an interesting move, especially because VMart can play 1st, allowing Boston to move Youk to third.

4) The Sox have been secretly shopping Delcarmen for much of the offseason, and almost made a deal with San Diego during spring training. There is a lot of interest in Delcarmen, and his good start to the season (sub 1.00 ERA) helps his trade value. I don't know what to expect in return, but if a top-tier team suddenly needs late inning relief help, the Sox would be dealing from a surplus (Papelbon-Ramirez-Oki-Bard-Masterson-Saito are already in the pen with Delcarmen). Should be interesting.

5) One thing to keep an eye on is Casey Kelly. He has been dominant as a pitcher in Single-A, but his innings will be limited to a reported 100 for the season, after which he will be a full-time shortstop. Will the Sox turn him into a pitcher only after this season, or will this trend continue? I know coming out of high school he got a huge signing bomus and wanted to play the field more than pitch. It will be interesting to follow this.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
bigpops65 said:

4) The Sox have been secretly shopping Delcarmen for much of the offseason, and almost made a deal with San Diego during spring training. There is a lot of interest in Delcarmen, and his good start to the season (sub 1.00 ERA) helps his trade value. I don't know what to expect in return, but if a top-tier team suddenly needs late inning relief help, the Sox would be dealing from a surplus (Papelbon-Ramirez-Oki-Bard-Masterson-Saito are already in the pen with Delcarmen). Should be interesting.

Kevin,

Thanks for the purchases last night. It is NOT a secret that they are shopping Delcarmen. As I know you and I have discussed before, I am very close to his agent (as a matter of fact, helped him get up and running on ebay), and MDC has indeed been involved in rampant discussions with NL teams. He was originally part of a discussion for Peavy this offseason. I'd be shocked if Delcarmen lasts with a Boston uniform past the trade deadline. He has some HUGE value.

I'll be getting to the bucket this evening, and will let you know what is what before 24 starts!

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
baseballguy350 said:
bigpops65 said:

Kevin,

Thanks for the purchases last night. It is NOT a secret that they are shopping Delcarmen. As I know you and I have discussed before, I am very close to his agent (as a matter of fact, helped him get up and running on ebay), and MDC has indeed been involved in rampant discussions with NL teams. He was originally part of a discussion for Peavy this offseason. I'd be shocked if Delcarmen lasts with a Boston uniform past the trade deadline. He has some HUGE value.

I'll be getting to the bucket this evening, and will let you know what is what before 24 starts!

Agreed. I see Delcarmen moving before any of the sox prospects as he could become an elite closer for a team in need. Would love to see the sox get a decent bat for him, relatively soon

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
scotty21690 said:
I don't want the Sox to move Delcarmen. :(

I like him and think is is a great asset to the team, but if there is one ridiculous strength with this team right now it is the bullpen and its depth, and there are some holes that could be filled. I'm sick of reading about trading the farm for a SS because I think Lowrie will be a very solid player for a long time. The only glaring hole right now is the DH spot, as well as the future catcher and 1 or both corner OF spots.

Latest posts