Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospectors question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
How old is too old for a prospect in SAL "A" ball? As far as I know he has not been injured and right now is 25 and hitting VERY well. Is there a certain age for each level of minors where over that age is no longer considered a prospect? Just curious, thanks.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
CAROLINA BOSOX said:
How old is too old for a prospect in SAL "A" ball? As far as I know he has not been injured and right now is 25 and hitting VERY well. Is there a certain age for each level of minors where over that age is no longer considered a prospect? Just curious, thanks.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
So .355 6HR 22 RBI 1 SB .431 OBP and 29/12 SO/BB at the age of 25 in the SAL is too old? Or are you saying that after 23 you are not a prospect? Thanks.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
CAROLINA BOSOX said:
So .355 6HR 22 RBI 1 SB .431 OBP and 29/12 SO/BB at the age of 25 in the SAL is too old? Or are you saying that after 23 you are not a prospect? Thanks.

Still technically a prospect, but too old for me personally to have a vested interest in.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Basically, he needs to make the jump to AA ball and put up the same numbers this season. If the Marlins consider him a prospect, they'll push him.

Once in AA ball, he's technically one realistc step from the Majors which brings him into "prospect" discussion. But definitely, at age 25, he shouldn't be spending too much longer in A ball.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
The reason he is hitting so well is because he is significantly older then his competition. So the numbers lie

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I happen to be a supporter of guys that are slightly older than the league average (especially if it's simply because they went to college), so I would say a 22, 23, or maybe even 24 year old in single A could still be a legit prospect.

With that said, they definitely need to be producing.

While an 18 year old can have a terrible year and still be a top prospect because he has all the tools and projects well (just hasn't put it together for one reason or another), a 22 year old in the same league does not have time to waste having bad years.

The way I see it, the older a player is for the league, the better numbers they need to be putting up.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I happen to be a supporter of guys that are slightly older than the league average (especially if it's simply because they went to college), so I would say a 22, 23, or maybe even 24 year old in single A could still be a legit prospect.

Maybe for high-A, but I think you can equate good division one college baseball to slightly below double-A. Think of Justin Smoak.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
CAROLINA BOSOX said:

I certainly wouldn't invest in this particular player until I saw him challenged. At the age of 25, he should be in AA-AAA or the majors. Why has he been in Low A ball for 4+ years?

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Basically, he needs to make the jump to AA ball and put up the same numbers this season. If the Marlins consider him a prospect, they'll push him.

Once in AA ball, he's technically one realistc step from the Majors which brings him into "prospect" discussion. But definitely, at age 25, he shouldn't be spending too much longer in A ball.

I never said anything about the Marlins? ;) The guy played at College of Charleston and I was wondering the same thing " Why 25 and in SAL?" Yeah he's got good numbers but like most of you said he's much older and more experienced than the guys around him. I'll keep an eye on him and if he makes the jump to AA I'll see how he does. Thanks for all your opinions I appreciate them.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
I don't write them off until they call it quits. Look at Jake Fox. He's 27ish and might never make it into the bigs ,but he's making someone money on Ebay right now. Is 25 to old for A Ball to be considered a prospect? Yes, but it doesn't mean they couldn't make a impact in the minors in higher level later down the line.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
sheetskout said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Maybe for high-A, but I think you can equate good division one college baseball to slightly below double-A. Think of Justin Smoak.

It's not that I'm in love with 24 year olds in single-A, it's just that I'm not writing off players that are a little old for their league. The way I see it, if the player is old for the league, he better be dominating the league.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts