Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CONTEST, Padres style, in honor of Tony Gwynn Jr. WINNER....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry it took me so long...

Seiya has been chosen the winner. PM me your address and i'll send the goods out next week. I'll try to PM you when I get back from my mission.

Thanks for the responses.

So, I had been a big fan of TG Jr. for ever, since he was drafted by the Brewers. 1. He's got hussle, 2. he's got lineage, 3. his dad was the greatest hitter since Ted Williams (according to Ted Williams), and 4. it fit the whole "Son's of guys from the 80's" motif to the Brewers had going.

Now he's been traded, and he's HOME. Not only is he home, but his crossing of home plate last night was the winning run.

So, in order to win the booty below, just express to me why this is one of the better "feel good" stories since Josh Hamilton. If you're not a Padres fan, just a baseball history fan, you should enter as well.

Also, if you know someone who you think should win this prize, enter on their behalf and if you win, tell me who to ship the cards to.

TRUS ME: you don't have to have Tony Gwynn Sr. or Jake Peavy in your sig or LaDanian Tomlinson as your avatar; true love of great baseball stories like this belong to us all.

Sorry to be such a mush-head on a Fridy morning.

Winner will be chosen by me (although I might be swayed by popular opinion), on Monday night, when ever i get around to it.

Here's the loot...

Padrescontest.jpg
Padrescontest2.jpg

good luck.

Anthony

Nov 20, 2008
San Diego area
Re: CONTEST, Padres style, in honor of Tony Gwynn Jr.

I'll go with the obvious "feel good," even though I didn't write it:
"On any other night, in any other game and, say, if Gwynn wasn't playing his first game for the team he grew up rooting for, following his father, Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, to work, emotions might have gotten the best of the newest Padre.

"It still hasn't really kicked in yet -- my nerves were actually pretty good," Gwynn said.

He might have been the only one, as the Padres rallied for their sixth consecutive victory with a 3-2 victory over the Giants at PETCO Park with two runs in the ninth inning as the game-winning run scored on Scott Hairston's two-out RBI single.

The player who scored the winning run? None other than Gwynn, who started his day in Portland as a member of the Nashville Sounds, the Milwaukee Brewers' Triple-A affiliate and ended it an unlikely hero in Thursday's victory."

Gwynn relishes role in game-winning rally
http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news...ntent_id=4876094&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Feel good? Maybe for the Crew as Gwynn has been overhyped and overrated since he was drafted.

Good luck Tony, but I'm glad your outa here......

jdpreas

Nov 14, 2008

Its just cool he gets to go back home to be with his Dad. I know if I was a MLB player and my son had the op to follow my footsteps. It would be a great honor to watch him play for my old team. No matter the hype it is a good story and this guy still has time to be a good everyday player.

Dan

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

jdpreas said:
Its just cool he gets to go back home to be with his Dad. I know if I was a MLB player and my son had the op to follow my footsteps. It would be a great honor to watch him play for my old team. No matter the hype it is a good story and this guy still has time to be a good everyday player.

Dan

Mark My Words: Tony Gwynn will not be an everyday player on an average-to-above average team.

Right now, maybe. But that's just a trial and because the Pads stink.

imac220

Aug 14, 2008
Central PA

This is a great, heart warming story, because of this. First off, my dad has played a very influential role in my life. He has taught me everything I know, from how to tie my shoes, to how to deal with adversity, and doubt in life. It is these things that have molded me the way I am today. I know how important my dad has been in my life, so I feel this is just as important to Tony Jr. His dad probably taught him how to swing a bat, and throw a baseball. And now, here he is in Major League Baseball scoring the winning run to end the ballgame.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA

It's very cool that he's home. The padres despirately needed some good news, especially after almost trading away Jake. This came at the prefect time. How cool would it be in Gwynn Sr came to manage the Padres (noing against Bud Black, just think out louad here) and we had a fater/ son player/ manager thing going on? That would be really cool. Anyway, i don't always have good things to say about the Padres but I think this is a good move, if only to give the fanbase something to get excited about.

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA

Great story because of the great legacy his father made in San Diego. Then on a day with the whole Jake Peavy fiasco going, to get the news from his own father, making it a dream come true. Walk into "his" new stadium, located on TONY GWYNN DR and then see his father's statue in the front of the stadium, have the magical night he did with the walk and scoring the winning run. It was just great, that it all happened here in his hometown, the house his dad built. (Little bit of ruth comparison there)

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008

This dude gets to go back to the place he saw his father become one of the greatest players in baseball history... Everytime he sits in the San Diego Dugout or locker room he will remember something about his father... he will trigger memories he and his dad had together during the greatest times of the sport he loves... Many of us who have lost our father's (I know he didn't) or are away from the man who taught us to be who we are always have these small reminders that make us smile... Imagine having that every day you go to work, remembering every great thing about your dad... having people come up to you every day and telling you how much they love your father. He is instantly going to become one of the most loved players in a city...His father coaches right down the street and can now watch his son play everynight like his son got to watch him... How awesome is that? To me that is as feel good as it gets

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

One bump an evening

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

Big Gwynn fan here obviously.
I cannot think of a better way to sum up Gwynn, Sr. than these words from his Hall of Fame induction speech. As a lifelong Padres fan, it is what I have always felt. This is the reason I collect Gwynn.

"I'm a big believer in whatever you want, if you want
something out of this game, you've got to put the work in it.
You've got to work hard. My father said you work hard, good
things will happen. Boy oh, boy he was absolutely right. I
worked hard in the game because I had to. I wasn't talented
enough to just get by on a billing. I really had to work at it.
I had to do the video stuff. I had to take extra hits. I had to go
about my business and do things the way I did. I think people,
we make a big deal about work ethic. We make a big deal about
trying to make good decision and doing things right, and you
know what, we are supposed to. That is what they pay us for.
When you sign your name, I'm a big believer when you sign your
name on a dotted line, there's more than just playing the game
of baseball. I think if you look out here today, you see all
these people out here today, they love the game too and there's
a responsibility when you put that uniform on that those people,
the people who pay to go watch you play, you're responsible,
you've got to make good decisions and show people how things are
supposed to be done."

If Junior has learned anything from his dad, hopefully he's learned to be an outstanding person. Great move, Padres!

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008

I feel the Brewers never gave Gwynn a chance. When Gwynn had a chance last year he got hurt right away. I would like to see what Gwynn would have done. Good or bad I'm glad he is given the chane to see what he can do with regular at bats.

If I win I only want the TG Jr. card. You can give the rest to someone else.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly

Well, as bad as the Padres where during the Gwynn years with the exception of two World Series appearces, I think the Padres owe it to Gwynn Sr. for all he did for the organization. Tony Gwynn Jr. when given the chance, can be a good player. The Padres have an "old" outfielder in Brian Giles who is taking up a roster spot. Tony Jr. actually got his first major league hit on July 19th, 2006-- 24 years to the day that his father did. When he was with Milwaukee, he hit a triple that tied the game, then later scored the winning run. The Padres were eliminated from the playoffs. This all points to San Diego having no other option and to go out and get him. Gwynn beat them, so he might as well join them!

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

SAT Bump

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

For Sunday

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania

What are the two things a kid wants to be when he grows up? Like his father, and a baseball player.

Tony Gwynn Jr did it.

He did it when most of us never could. He did it when most us never will.

I can't even put into words how heartwarming that is. If you had the same dreams as a kid, you should just get this feeling reading that. It's like a mix of awe, admiration, and perhaps just a touch of envy.

When his foot hit home plate, I think the little boy with the childhood dreams inside us smiled along with Gwynn and his father.

And of course - thanks for the contest.

walter55

Aug 7, 2008

It makes feel like I am back in the 80s and 90s and am enjoying see Gwynn on the back of a Padres jersey again. Now the Brewers just need to trade Fielder to the Tigers to keep the movement going.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

last chance. I'll decide tomorrow.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD

Why is this one of the best stories since Josh Hamilton you ask?

The Short Answer: Tony Gwynn Jr. is on the best fit team for himself.

Some Detail: His father, Tony Gwynn Sr. was the face of the Padres organization for around 20 years. Imagine watching your father while growing up with the hopes to someday play baseball as well. Then you finally obtain the chance with another team, the Brewers. Of course deep down he had to be a Padres fan growing up, because like any son, his father is one of his biggest role-models.

His father pulled off a feat that rarely happens anymore. Playing an entire career with one franchise. In this case, the San Diego Padres. He was the face of the franchise. Now his son has a chance to continue his legacy by playing with the Padres. Sure, he may not have the skill level his father did, but at least he has a chance to shine on the team his father once did.

The best feeling on Tony Gwynn Jr's life had to be when he picked up the phone and heard his fathers voice tell him he was traded to the Padres. To know he was going to the team he followed around for years had to be an amazing sensation.

Now this home town boy gets the chance to carry on the legacy of one of the greatest hitters in MLB history. Tony Gwynn.

Thanks for this contest and this truly is an outstanding story. Best of luck Jr.

Members online

Latest posts