Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whats Up With Rick Porcello's Cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
Alright guys, I really haven't followed baseball a ton thus far in the year due to my baseball and school. However, I just was looking at some stats. I noticed that Rick Porcello is 4-3 with a 3.88 ERA. Then I went and looked at his prices, why aren't his cards higher? I mean his stuff is cheaper than before spring training? Maybe I missed something, or has he just not proven enough yet? I think those stats are better than good for a Rookie...

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
arod305 said:
Alright guys, I really haven't followed baseball a ton thus far in the year due to my baseball and school. However, I just was looking at some stats. I noticed that Rick Porcello is 4-3 with a 3.88 ERA. Then I went and looked at his prices, why aren't his cards higher? I mean his stuff is cheaper than before spring training? Maybe I missed something, or has he just not proven enough yet? I think those stats are better than good for a Rookie...

They have actually decreased since the promotion.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
EricInCT said:
arod305 said:

Isn't that what I basically said?

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
arod305 said:
EricInCT said:
arod305 said:

Isn't that what I basically said?
It sounds better when Eric says it.

:lol:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
His performance is decent for a rookie, but it's not like he's Mark Firdych in '76 or anything. After promotion, a player needs to become a star for his cards to move. Cardwise, it's better to be 7-0, 2.10 in AAA than 4-3, 3.88 ERA in Detroit, because it allows people to dream of what might come rather than wake up to what has come.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Don't look now, but he is 3-0 with a 1.00 ERA in his last three starts.

He pitches tonight at 7:05 Eastern at home against the Rockies trying to make it four straight wins for himself and seven in a row for the Tigers.

As far as his cards, they're not down much at all actually. I am finding that his chrome parallels are coming back down to earth since the release of BDP.

His crappier autos have also fallen off a bit (see prime cuts, threads), but his nicer autos have generally held their value completely if not selling even higher (see AFLACs, Leaf Limiteds, Elites).

Any price of a card within the first week of a product's release should be thrown out the window because this does not show the true value of the card.

I've watched every single game he's pitched and he has really done an outstanding job improving the command of his offspeed pitches lately. His curveball is one of the best on the Tigers' staff and his changeup has been effective as well.

His cards will continue to climb as he continues to prove that the hype is not just hype, it's truth. He has it in him to be everything scouts said he did--staff ace, all-star, cy young candidate-- it's just a matter of time and experience now before he begins realizing each of these achievements.

If the Tigers make the playoffs and are successful and Porcello pitches well in his starts, I wouldn't be surprised if his cards doubled in value for a while.

Looking even further down the road into next year and years to come, just think about a player like Evan Longoria. His cards continue to go up because he continues to prove that he is one of the best in the majors. Not that anyone will get to that status for awhile, but expect the same pattern from the cards of Porcello or any player who is able to dominate the league. Remember, Rick is only 20 years old still and will be until next season.

If you're looking to move Porcello cards, my suggestion is to be patient, because you will likely be rewarded. Whether or not his cards do anything, he is going to be really good for a really long time.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
So tell me this! Why did over 2100 people drop him today in Yahoo Fantasy Baseball.
Seems if dude is 3-0 with and ERA of 1.00 in his last 3 starts you would want to keep him no? ::facepalm::

I know I did. :D

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Pine Tar said:
So tell me this! Why did over 2100 people drop him today in Yahoo Fantasy Baseball.
Seems if dude is 3-0 with and ERA of 1.00 in his last 3 starts you would want to keep him no? ::facepalm::

I kept him....GO RICKY!!!

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Pine Tar said:

Probably people who just add and drop starters every day. I think its called streaming starting pitchers.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think a lot has to do with his poor start. His first few starts have obscured how good he has been the last few weeks, because the overall numbers are still only "solid" and not "great." If he keeps pitching well, he'll get noticed.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
mredsox89 said:
Pine Tar said:

Probably people who just add and drop starters every day. I think its called streaming starting pitchers.
And that is what I hate in Yahoo Fantasy baseball. You can't do this in real baseball so why do it in fake. ::facepalm:: :lol:

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Pine Tar said:

20 million people play yahoo fantasy baseball. Now does 2100 people sound like alot?

:lol:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Topnotchsy said:
I think a lot has to do with his poor start. His first few starts have obscured how good he has been the last few weeks, because the overall numbers are still only "solid" and not "great." If he keeps pitching well, he'll get noticed.

I actually meant to mention this as well. I think that if he had come out of the gate 3-0 with a 1.00 ERA (his numbers from his last three starts), his cards would have gone crazy.

Instead, he kind of got off to a slow start. He was competitive in all but maybe one inning of his first 4 starts, but it's numbers people look at, and despite pitching relatively well during his first four games, he ended up 1-3 to start the season.

He's been dominant in each of his last three starts, and like Topnotchsy has said, if he keeps pitching well, he and his cards will draw a lot more attention.

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
Goes to show that the best time to sell is before or right when a guy gets called up. Unless a guy pulls a Longoria, rarely will a guy go up after they are in the bigs.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Jurgy25 said:
Goes to show that the best time to sell is before or right when a guy gets called up. Unless a guy pulls a Longoria, rarely will a guy go up after they are in the bigs.
THANK YOU.

:D :lol:

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jurgy25 said:

I agree with this statement, but I wouldn't necessarily say "rarely", as I feel a lot of card values move about weekly based on performance.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE, I enjoyed reading your post. I haven't seen all of Porcello's games this year but I have seen most of them. The movement and location of Porcello's pitches are already above MLB average. He will benefit by playing half of his games at Comerica Park along with Detroit's vastly improved defense.

At the risk of sounding like a homer, I think the games early in the year where Porcello got roughed up will be the exception, not the rule. JMHO, but I think the prices on Porcello cards will be going up very soon.

arod305

Aug 7, 2008
Jurgy25 said:

Thing is, I think with Porcello he has a big game some time through his career. Idk like a shutout or what not his cards will jump up big time.

Latest posts