Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay seller and his way of pricing cards - TOO FUNNY!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I was interested in a 2008 Stadium Club Gold Photographer's Proof Evan Longoria auto #/50 on eBay. The seller (who I won't name in case he's on here) has it up for a ginormous price with best offer. So we go back and forth trying to find a middle ground. These cards are known to come with terrible edges on the back. Fast forward...so a BGS 9 just ended today for $75. The seller has it up for $250 or so, he initially wanted $180, then $160, and finally down to my original offer of $135. If he had accepted my original offer last night we wouldn't even be here. So I explain that I really don't want to pay more than $100 for it as the BGS 9 just ended for $75 (and after looking at his scan the edges are pretty rough). I also tell him that when a card is not listed in Beckett due to a small print run, the general consensus is that one should go off of completed auctions. This was his reply...

"...so do you not even want to pay 134.99, like your original offer? you cant base it off what else it has sold for in auction, there are only 50 of them, and because a couple sold for less, big deal, there are none up right now, and this is the kidn of card in 10 years that could be worth 500".

I don't think I'll be buying the card. Thanks for hearing my rant of the day.
Allen

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
Ok ok ok, I could understand not basing the price off of completed auctions if the card were a red refractor, or something numbered to 10, but 50? come on, the prices are going to be constant on that type of thing within a 2 or 3 day period. Give me a break..that guy's logic is screwy.

Anthony

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Thanks for reinforcing my initial thoughts on this matter guys. The seller just emailed back with this little nugget,

"you do realize that there are none of these numbers to 5, or 10, or 15, or 20, there are the base ones, ones numbered to 100, 50, and 1, so its not like there are a TON of different versions, do you think i care what other buyers so, people want
to rip people off on ebay, you could get an albert pujols auto in 2001 for 200 bucks, now you ened to pay at least 600 for a rookie auto, and longoria is a big time player, please dont send offers on my stuff ever again, you are very disrespectful, you are going based off other peoples opinions, and those are people trying to get the best deal possible, i could care a less what they say, nor should you give my ebay id, this is private conversation, and you are telling other people about it, thats wrong
".

Well, I guess I can't bid on his items anymore. I guess I'll have to look for the other X number of sellers that have the same kind of stuff. What an idiot!

Thanks again bros!
Allen

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
His card, his price. If he wants to hold it, that's his choice. Can't really get mad at a guy for not selling his card at your price.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
i might be missing something here but from what i understand you offered to pay the seller $135 for the card and then after one ended on ebay, you didn't want to hold to your offer of $135 and told the seller you changed your mind and only want to offer $100 for the card now.

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
Hah. If he thinks market price is a rip off then fine, don't sell the card. Determining the value of a card by what it potentially COULD be worth is an exercise in folly as well. I think this guy needs to understand that these other people whose opinions he doesn't care about are potential customers. I'm not sure why he thinks somebody should pay him more than the card is worth, but I'd love to be his car dealer!

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Card Magnet said:
Did you offer on the card expire? Or was it still open and you two were just talking?

I offered him $135 last night but he wanted to hold out for $160. So I never replied and thought this was a dead deal. Earlier this afternoon he emailed asking if I would pay $150 for it and I told him that a BGS 9 just ended for $75. So I didn't feel that his pricing was accurate. He then went into how completed auction prices were not accurate and that his card had the potential of being a $500 while referencing the value of Pujols rookie autos. I did nothing wrong in this situation as he was the one that got greedy and wouldn't accept my initial offer last night.

Allen

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
Groat said:
Hah. If he thinks market price is a rip off then fine, don't sell the card. Determining the value of a card by what it potentially COULD be worth is an exercise in folly as well. I think this guy needs to understand that these other people whose opinions he doesn't care about are potential customers. I'm not sure why he thinks somebody should pay him more than the card is worth, but I'd love to be his car dealer!

Thank you very much!!! That is exactly how I feel about the situation. This is my last post on this thread. The seller just replied with this:

"...stadium club boxes are expensive, why would i sell the card for less then the box, these is a tough hit, you could buy 5 boxes of that product, and not hit anything that good, so i want true value, beckett pricing, and ebay pricing is skewed".

He also mentioned how the FCB guys did not know what they were talking about and how he's a Beckett member that knows better. LOL!

Allen

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Bruin7 said:
Groat said:

Thank you very much!!! That is exactly how I feel about the situation. This is my last post on this thread. The seller just replied with this:

"...stadium club boxes are expensive, why would i sell the card for less then the box, these is a tough hit, you could buy 5 boxes of that product, and not hit anything that good, so i want true value, beckett pricing, and ebay pricing is skewed".

He also mentioned how the FCB guys did not know what they were talking about and how he's a Beckett member that knows better. LOL!

Allen
What is this idiots name? What a hypocrite, I bet if the shoe was on the other foot he would be presenting your same argument.

Members online

Latest posts