Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Questionable Ebay bidders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
There is one very large seller on Ebay I have noticed in countless bid histories, the overwhelming number of bids some buyers seem to supply to this one seller. Most buyers in auction format like to bid at the very last second but this seller has their auctions inch upward a dollar at a time over the course of seven days and most (but not all) buyers have a disproportionate amount of bids directed at this seller. Here is a snippet of one I am looking at now.

30-Day Summary​

Total bids:
Items bid on:
Bid activity (%) with this seller:
91%
Bid retractions:

Am I wrong here?

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Sounds like classic shill bid behavior to me. But I wonder how many bid retractions do you see among those bidders?

Also, is the seller Probstein?

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
Am I allowed to say? I'll edit it out if it is an issue....dcsports87. Granted, they have 30k plus listings and I suppose there can be legit bidders that follow this seller like groupies but I just get an odd vibe every time I peruse the bidders list when I am interested in one of their auctions. The bidder that had 1729 bids in the 30 day summary only had a feedback rating of (146) and that is just one example of many.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Snipe bidding helps prevent the effects of this kind of activity, if that is shill bidding. It looks suspicious for sure, but you never know either. I bid with the same sellers over and over again, often for years. However, my interest in not deep enough to big on 1000s of items from any one seller. Maybe 50-100 if they are listing things I like, but I also expect I won't win most in the end.

OakAth

Nov 30, 2009
Same seller, different "bidder", same situation.....just venting.

30-Day Summary​

Total bids:
Items bid on:
Bid activity (%) with this seller:
99%
Bid retractions:
Bid retractions (12 months):

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
They are a big consigner. There is a chance people are running up auctions, but no bid retractions is a promising sign. What kind of buyer bids on 5600+ items in a 30 day period though? That is crazy! I buy from DCSports87, fairly frequently, but my wins are anywhere from only a card or two each round up to maybe a dozen on a good run. Most are low $ items too.

Again, it makes zero sense to bid on any auctions. If you are not using a snipe service, you simply are paying more than you have to and I guarantee that as fact!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts