Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should I convert this Buck O'Neil ball to a custom card?

Should I convert this Buck O'Neil ball to a custom card?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Well, I have been converted to custom cards, as you can see by my sig.
I have this ball signed by Buck O'Neil in person a few years back.
I was in the middle of listing my 2001 Musial Sweet Spot today and thought about my O'Neil ball and wondered if I should convert the ball to a custom auto. Im pretty sure that I have seen an O'Neil sweet spot auto from this same set, but couldnt find one in a search of eBay.
What do you all think?

BuckONeilBall.jpg

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Musial Collector said:
Well, I have been converted to custom cards, as you can see by my sig.
I have this ball signed by Buck O'Neil in person a few years back.
I was in the middle of listing my 2001 Musial Sweet Spot today and thought about my O'Neil ball and wondered if I should convert the ball to a custom auto. Im pretty sure that I have seen an O'Neil sweet spot auto from this same set, but couldnt find one in a search of eBay.
What do you all think?

BuckONeilBall.jpg

It would look something like this...

buck.jpg

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
For the love of God NO!! :shock: :eek: Nothing against the custom cards but that ball is sweet. This is something you got signed in person by one of the greatest ambassadors the game has ever known. Don't desecrate it, you'll never have the opportunity to get another. ( I don't trust any auto I don't see signed in person...too many scams)

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Mozzie22 said:
This is something you got signed in person by one of the greatest ambassadors the game has ever known. Don't desecrate it, you'll never have the opportunity to get another.

I agree. If you hadn't gotten it in person then I would probably say go for it.

But a single signed ball that you handed him and he handed back to you is too cool to cut up.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I have cut up two custom sweet spots in my collection where the balls were less than ideal to begin with. First, a Joe Mauer ball where Mauer smeared the "To Mike, Best Wishes" personalization, and a Justin Morneau ball that Rob Bowen signed on a side panel.

Both customs turned out great and I'm completely happy with them, but a nice looking Buck O'Neil ball probably shouldn't meet the knife in my opinion. Surely there is at least one personalized O'Neil ball available out there somewhere.

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
I have a David Wright ball that I would like to do that to. Do you have any pics of your custom ball cards ?

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
This should set you straight:

RCW21.854-13.9(F): No memorabilia deposited into either the state or local private control account may be used for custom projects, whereas feasibility studies, underconcerning various hazards of creativity will not be ignored.
[2005 c 488 § 926; 2003 1st sp.s. c 25 § 933; 2001 c 27 § 2; 2000 2nd sp.s. c 1 § 912; 1999 c 309 § 923. Prior: 1998 c 346 § 905; 1998 c 81 § 2; 1997 c 406 § 5; 1994 c 252 § 5; 1991 sp.s. c 13 § 69; 1989 c 2 § 7 (Initiative Measure No. 97, approved November 8, 1988).]

I think it's pretty straight foward- Don't Do It!

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Mike
I LOVE that Mauer!!!

As for the poll, it is 35 no, 7 yes. I guess I will listen to the masses. :D

200lbhockeyplayer said:
gregbara said:
I have a David Wright ball that I would like to do that to. Do you have any pics of your custom ball cards ?
mauer-ssi.jpg

Members online

Latest posts