Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who had a better career with the mariners?

Who had the most impressive years in a Mariners Uni?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
I feel that if Griffey had never left, he probably would hold the all-time record by now. Something just wasn't right with him in Cinci.

Though great, Johnson had the best years of his career when he was in Arizona.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
cowboysrule48 said:
I feel that if Griffey had never left, he probably would hold the all-time record by now. Something just wasn't right with him in Cinci.

Yes he did, but he had two CY Youngs i think with the mariners, numerous solid seasons and was a key role for taking them to the playoffs. Not saying he is who I think deserves it, just justifying why I would put him on the list.

Griffey had amazing numbers and MVP, GG, SS etc and lead HR 4 times, but so does Ichiro, who has set a MLB record of 262 hits, has MVP ROY, AS, GG and 200+ .300 avg 30+SB seasons (has almost 400) and lead the league in hits 5+ times.

ccolwell

Aug 7, 2008
NC
If Griffey never left that is who I would have voted. With that being said I voted Ichiro.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
KOBEARODLT said:
for me its not even close...its ichiro, but most people will probably vote for griffey
Same.

Main Reasons for ichiro.

Second player to win ROY and MVP same season. Soon will be only player to have hit 200+ hits, 300+ AVG 9 straight GG AS. Has MLB record for hits (262).

If griffey's ENTIRE career was there I'd vote griffey as well, but then he'd have way more season's than ichiro :p

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Edgar Martinez - imagine if he wasn't buried in the minor leagues until he was in his mid 20s...guy could be a stronger candidate for the Hall of Fame.

With all due respect, he spent his entire professional career in the Mariners' organization.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Lars said:
Edgar Martinez - imagine if he wasn't buried in the minor leagues until he was in his mid 20s...guy could be a stronger candidate for the Hall of Fame.

With all due respect, he spent his entire professional career in the Mariners' organization.
I respect your answer, one of the most clutch players in the 90s?

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Griffey didn't have as many hits, but when he did they were better than Ichiro. He also almost doubled the RBI output of Ichiro season to season. Ichiro did get more runs though.

Tough call, but in the end...I voted Griffey. It wasn't out of my liking for him, but more my liking of a power hitter who generates more team offense.

You could argue that popularity is also a measure of a successful career, in which case Griffey wins that when going head to head with the other 3 players.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
darocker80 said:
cowboysrule48 said:
Yes he did, but he had two CY Youngs i think with the mariners,
Johnson won only one Cy Young with the Mariners. (1995)
He won four with the Diamondbacks.(1999-2002)

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
It's an interesting question in that 1 guy is already done, 1 guy is still active but playing elsewhere, 1 guy went elsewhere, came back, but is doing nothing to really help his legacy, and the other is active, present, and still going strong so it's not really an equal or direct comparison.

I was never a huge fan, but chose Griffey because his numbers during his 11+ years in Seattle were really impressive. Remember he predates a bit the powered-up 90s. In 1992 Gary Sheffield almost won the NL Triple Crown but lost the homer title to Fred McGriff's 35. In his first 4 years, Griffey didn't even crack 30. But starting in 1993, when things really took off and whatever was done with the ball, bats, the strikezone, parks, etc., he was a direct beneficiary and changed from being a solid linedrive hitter to true slugger and the expected heir to Aaron. Altogether, Griffey's first tenure resulted in 398 homers with a .299 BA, .948 OPS, and 1152 RBI. He was an All-Star every single year, won the MVP once and was top-10 6 other times. He even won the Gold Glove every year including when he only played 72 games (which I think shows the silliness of the award but whatever). He led the league in homers 4 times, including back-to-back 56 homer years. And he was no Adam Dunn, either. In those 11 seasons, he only struck out 984 times while walking over 740, so he was making the most of his swings. The other 3 are great ballplayers but I think in terms of years in Seattle, Griffey has the one I'd choose over all others.

Ichiro's on pace for 250+ hits again this year, BTW. He's simply incredible.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Taking the op's question for what it is, and not trying to interject any personal feelings or conjured context, Ichiro clearly has had the best carear out of the lot for the M's.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
200lbhockeyplayer said:
At this rate, Ichiro will go down as the best Mariners player ever.
I agree with you and matfanofold

but the people on FCB think otherwise (unless they just voted Griffey because its Griffey, I want to hear some discussion)
^ And totally respect all opinions

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts